The Payroll Coordinator is responsible for the production and
timely delivery of three payrolls (monthly, biweekly, and
The Payroll Coordinator uses an understanding of the University’s
in-house payroll system to accurately pay employees in compliance
with federal and state laws and regulations, such as the Internal
Revenue Service ( IRS ) rules and regulation and the Fair Labor
Standards Act ( FLSA ).
The Payroll Coordinator assures proper tax treatment, accounting,
and deposition of withholding, such as taxes, deductions for
benefits, charitable contributions, retirement contributions other
ESSENTIAL DUTIES :
• Ensures proper payment of wages and salaries by using the
in-house payroll system to correctly process salaries and reported
hours worked, correctly utilize paid leave and holiday pay,
correctly accrue compensatory time and correctly compute overtime
while meeting deadlines.
• Assures that the in-house payroll system is working as expected
and in compliance with federal and state laws, rules, and
regulations by establishing controls, monitoring results, and
collaborating with Technology Services to modify and adapt
programming, processing methods and reporting in response to
changes in regulations, withholding rates, reporting needs
• Oversees and monitors the eligibility to work in the United
States with proper tax treatments of wages of international
• Generates records of each payroll showing each payee, hours
worked (for nonexempt employees), wages paid, associated
withholdings for retirement, benefits, and other contributions, and
taxes withheld, supervises the maintenance of payroll records and
accounts, and prepares journal entries related to payroll in a
• Monitors control procedures related to the preparation and
disbursement of direct deposits of payroll checks.
• Ensures the timely completion of all payroll tax reporting
requirements and the issuance of W2’s.
• Responds to all payroll audit requests.
• Prepares periodic reports on retirement, tax withholdings,
unemployment compensation and other related reports of expenditures
and balances of various accounts by compiling, researching, and
analyzing data regarding these program expenditures.
• Facilitates employee participation in various voluntary payroll
deduction options by processing voluntary deduction forms, which
includes verifying employee eligibility and checking the accuracy
of completed forms; and by ensuring the authorized deductions are
made from employee paychecks and disbursed to the proper agencies
and/or companies designated by the employee.
• Remains competent and current through self-directed professional
reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues,
attending professional development courses, and attending training
and/or courses as required.
• Assists the Human Resources office with office coverage, phone
coverage, and customer services.
• Other duties of a similar nature and/or level as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in a business-related field
• Four (4) years of experience in payroll experience
Sedentary work; exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally
and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to
lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the
human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs
are sedentary if walking and standing are required only
occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
• May work occasional nights and weekends
• May require some travel
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES :
• Excellent understanding of accounting principles and payroll
• Understanding of Department of Labor regulations
• Understanding of Federal and State tax regulations
• Knowledge of International tax requirements
• Skilled in understanding and using in-house payroll processing
• Proficiency with Excel and/or other spreadsheet and database
• High regard for confidentiality
• Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction
with coworkers, supervisors, administration, students, and the
general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information
and to receive work direction.
Hours of Work
Open Until Filled