Academic Affairs Coordinator
Pay Grade Level
Health, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability
insurance, flexible spending and dependent care accounts, health
savings accounts, Michigan Public School Employees Retirement
Systems, TIAA 403(b), generous sick and vacation time, paid
holidays, modified summer schedule, YMCA membership, Wellness
Program, tuition reimbursement and professional development
Job Summary/Basic Function
This position requires the individual to manage the processes for
the Office of Academic Affairs in the following general areas of
responsibility: accreditation, communications, scheduling and
coordinating activities, record keeping, and all duties as
assigned. This position also coordinates and supports
administrative assistant duties for all divisions as necessary in
collaboration with other academic administrative assistants.
- Associate’s degree
- Minimum of three (3) years of Office/Administrative Assistant
- Minimum of one (1) year of Project Management
- Demonstrated experience of coordinating and implementing
- Proficient in MS Word, WP, Excel, Outlook
Excellent Word Processing, Data Entry and Database Skills
- Excellent Written and Oral Communication Skills
- Excellent Interpersonal Skills and the demonstrated ability to
work with all levels of an organization.
- Exceptional prioritization, organizational, and time management
- Initiative, good judgement, a high degree of responsibility,
with the ability to handle information of a confidential
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of experience in office management
- Experience working with accreditation processes
- Experience working with continuous quality improvement
- Knowledge of and experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (
ERP ) systems
Months Per Year
Hours Worked Per Week
Typical hours are 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. with an hour lunch
Supervises Student Workers and/or Work Study employee(s).
Works under the general supervision of the Vice President of
Work environment characteristics described here are representative
of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but
may be loud in areas of equipment operation.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work being performed by personnel assigned into this
classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list
of all job duties performed by personnel so classified. Job related
functions may be performed with or without accommodations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger,
handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and
arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or
hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or
move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job
include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral
vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Coordinate HLC accreditation activity in collaboration with the
VP of Academics.
- Serve as the HLC liaison for the college.
- Coordinate fall and winter in-service activities including
planning meetings, creating the agenda and press release, printing
handouts, reserving space and equipment and ordering catering.
- Serve as primary advisor to other academic administrative
assistants with regard to labor relations, contract
- Coordinate and maintain Records Retention Schedule for Academic
- Manage content on all Academic Affairs website pages and myBay,
coordinate with faculty, and update as needed.
- Coordinate Academic Affairs commencement activity, including
annual development of the script, ordering attire, and coordination
of commencement day activity for faculty and academic affairs
- Coordinate annual awards dinner for academic affairs, including
annual development of the script, verifying all the honorees, and
communicating with students, faculty and staff awardees, creating
press releases and collaborating with Advancement in preparing the
- Manage the curriculum process including collecting curriculum,
preparing meeting agendas, scheduling meetings, recording meeting
minutes, following up on action items and preparing the final
report for the Board of Trustees.
- Analyze reports for academic deans and Vice President of
Academic Affairs including low enrollment/capacity reports, student
registration reports, budget/load reports, scheduling reports,
- Coordinate the PERT process, including developing the annual
PERT schedule and filing the PERTS, Program Improvement Plans and
Advisory Board Meeting minutes as the Office of Record.
Develop, maintain, and coordinate processes within Academic Affairs
to ensure consistency across divisions.
- Own process and coordinate activity for academic affairs
workflow within Curriculog system.
- Develop and maintain timelines for each semester’s staff
assignments and coordinate activities between the academic office
and registrar’s office. Create and distribute the staff offerings
list and online form. Manage the online form deployment and
collection. Communicates final staff assignments to the part-time
- Coordinate faculty sick time reporting across academic
- Coordinate and compile the monthly Academic Affairs Report to
the Board of Trustees.
- Report any faculty eligible for tenure to deans and set
deadlines for when their decision is due to the Vice President of
Academic Affairs. Report the Vice President’s decision to the
Executive Assistant to the President via memo to the
- Calculate and adjust faculty teaching loads in the section
master as appropriate. Report overloads, insufficient loads, and
low enrollments to the deans.
- Coordinate the deployment of the student evaluation forms and
collect and store the results.
- Coordinate instructional agreement process and oversee
administrative assistants in the review and distribution of
instructional agreements for faculty.
- Determine eligible part-time faculty for senior membership
status by pulling reports and analyzing data, communicate and
follow-up as appropriate.
- Work with the Business Office as needed to resolve any budget
or invoice issues.
- Manage the academic onboarding process for adjunct faculty and
coordinate activity with the Deans and Administrative
- Processes Direct Credit (non-employee) instructors and
inputting their information into EX. Coordinates with IT to set up
email and myBay settings. Communicates with non-employee instructor
on how to navigate Bay College email and myBay.
- Add new part-time and full-time faculty to the faculty
- Assist Academic Deans and coordinate with administrative
assistants in book assignments, registration of
internships/directed studies/independent studies, faculty leave
time, onboarding, etc.
Manage activity associated with Academic Affairs awards
- Coordinate Outstanding Educator Award process. Create the list
of eligible faculty, press releases, nomination forms,
PR/Marketing. Compile ratings and rubric in preparation of the
selection committee meeting. Schedule and facilitate the selections
- Coordinate All- USA Academic Team Competition and the
All-Michigan Academic Team. Create the application, web form, press
releases and pr/marketing. Review student transcripts and
applications for eligibility. Coordinate eligibility and ranking
process and communications with student applicants.
- Coordinate activities associated with the Presidential Honor
Award by creating the application, web form, press releases and
pr/marketing. Coordinate eligibility, ranking process, and
- Prepare agenda items and materials and record meeting minutes
for the ILT . Send follow up correspondence on action items.
- Coordinate activities associated with the selection of the
Division Chairs including communication between academic offices,
Vice President’s office, payroll and HR. Input the appropriate
coding for each Division Chair and update the college website where
- Support the fall and winter Student Art Shows at both campuses
by preparing relevant communications and payments to award
- Coordinate payment and communication of Poster Symposium and
Serendipity each winter.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President of
- Support the President in the absence of the Executive
- Hire, schedule, and supervise student employee(s)
Any other duties as assigned
Beth Berube, Director of Human Resources
Melissa VanBrocklin, Human Resources Specialist
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Target application deadline date is June 04, 2021.
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Other Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you possess a minimum of an Associate's degree?
- * How proficient would you rank your technology skills with
various computer software applications and database management?
- Not proficient
- Somewhat proficient
- Very proficient
- * How many years of experience do you have working in an office