Career Development Specialist
Located in the historic community of Walla Walla
, Whitman's beautiful
tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually dynamic, diverse,
and supportive community of some 500 staff and faculty and 1,500
students. With an endowment exceeding $700 million, fiercely loyal
alumni, exceptional students, and accomplished faculty and staff,
Whitman College continues to build on its national reputation for
academic excellence ranking as one of the top liberal arts colleges
in the country.
is building a diverse
academic community and especially encourages applications from
women, members of historically underrepresented minority groups,
persons with disabilities, and others who would bring additional
dimensions to the college's learning environment. Whitman College
is an EEO employer.
Whitman is committed to providing high-quality, comprehensive and
relevant career advising to our students and alumni. In addition,
Whitman prides itself on providing creative and timely programming
to give students exposure to the enormous array of professional
options available to its graduates.
This position will allow the College to expand support for all
students in connecting their academic, co-curricular and
extra-curricular pursuits to opportunities for post-graduate
employment and training. Focusing on a combination of coaching,
mentoring and collaborative skillsets, the Specialist will engage
in career advising and assessment, education and development
programs, and relevant employer recruiting events. They will work
collaboratively with Whitman faculty, staff and alumni to provide a
career & professional development offering that supports
students in planning and pursuing life after Whitman College.
This role will provide specialized support to students pursuing
career paths in the sciences and should have experience or training
related to one or more STEM fields.
- Conduct one-on-one student appointments, including career
assessment reviews, practice interviews, resume and cover letter
critiques and support for post-graduate pursuits.
- Engage actively in SEC initiatives to provide individual career
coaching to every student at Whitman.
- Collaborate with Whitman faculty and SEC staff to present
information on various career development topics including
science-related alumni trajectories, job search strategies,
building professional networks, etc.
- Research and develop a set of resources focused on supporting
the career trajectories of graduates historically underrepresented
and marginalized in STEM fields.
- Positively and actively contribute to the college's core values
of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Assist in aspects of employer relations programs, including job
fairs, relevant employer information sessions, and promoting
student attendance at employer events.
- Assist in collection, tabulation, and analysis of outcomes
information for key stakeholders.
- Represent and promote the Student Engagement Center to a
variety of constituents such as Whitman parents, alumni and
prospective students, as needed.
- Utilize effective and current technology and communication
outlets in all facets of work.
- Complete other duties as needed to support the goals of the
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Substantial experience with student advising, employee coaching
or early career mentoring
- Familiarity with employment trends across a range of
professions in STEM industries
- Understanding of and appreciation for liberal arts education
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to develop rapport
across diverse audiences
- Comfort with technology platforms and drawing from them to help
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member
of a team
- Demonstrated excellence in organization and attention to
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and
- Master's degree in a related field
- 2-3 years of experience in an advising, coaching or mentoring
Application review will begin on July 22, 2021 and will continue
until the position is filled.
August 31, 2021
For full application instructions and position description,