Relief Boiler Operator/Mechanic
Mechanical Services and Central Heating
Duration of Position:
Full year / Full time
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly
selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar
is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the
values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment
of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a
pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar
College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and
applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members
of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.Note: Vassar
College has a universal vaccination policy requiring a COVID-19
vaccination for all employees except for those exempt for medical
or religious reasons.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Relief Boiler Plant Operator/Mechanic is a full time position
within Building and Grounds Services and is responsible for
operating and maintaining our steam boilers and all associated
auxiliary systems. The Relief Boiler Operator/Mechanic works
independently and exercises judgment to perform all required
operational maintenance and repairs to our central heating system
which contains four, 750 HP fire tube boilers and 1100 HP water
tube high pressure boiler, controls, supporting auxiliary
equipment, and steam distribution systems; a 750 KW and a 250 KW
steam turbine electric generators and associated electrical
switchgear and supporting equipment. This position will perform
other related duties as assigned. Rotating schedule, days
off varied and dependent on needs of the College.
Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Ability to communicate effectively in English, including
understanding, speaking, reading and writing.
Attendance and performance will be considered. Willingness to
work overtime as available. Must be able to work rotating shifts
that include holidays and weekends. Overtime, including responding
to after-hour and weekend emergencies, is assigned according to
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Four (4) years of experience in all aspects of operation,
maintenance and repair of high pressure boilers and related
systems, equipment and controls is required.
- Must be familiar with equipment, and have mechanical and
electrical aptitude and demonstrate a working knowledge of the
nature of the duties associated with job description.
- Ability to operate successfully all related test equipment and
able to read control prints.
- Must successfully complete the Job Skill Evaluation to begin
training in the position.
- Must have the ability to:
- Read and interpret written instructions, manufacturer’s
manuals, material safety data sheets (MSDS) and engineering
- Use personal protective equipment, such as safety harness,
eyeglasses, hardhat, and gloves;
- Move, position, place, transport and carry up to and including
80 pounds (steam traps, heavy valves, motors, etc.);
- Demonstrate manual and physical dexterity;
- Work with hazardous and corrosive chemicals in small
- Use a computer and successfully navigate through various
- Maneuver in close quarters and ascend and descend stairs,
ladders, and catwalks on a regular basis; remain in a stationary
position on concrete floors for long periods of time;
- Work in extreme environments (cold, hot, humid and
- Work independently with minimal supervision;
- Identify hazards and report to appropriate personnel;
- Work in stressful situations;
- Use written logbooks, plant computer system, and maintenance
work order and supply systems and enter data into a computer system
To apply you will be required to complete the Vassar College
Employment Application, including your complete work history and
contact information for 3 supervisor references (please: no
relatives, friends or co-workers). You will have the option of
attaching a resume and cover letter. Review of applications will
begin immediately. Inquiries may be directed to the Human Resources
Office at (845) 437-5820
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2121.