The Center for Space Medicine (CSM) at Baylor College of Medicine
(BCM) seeks a full-time Business Operations Associate to perform
operations support of the BCM education and research missions. The
individual will be a direct report to the Administrator of CSM, who
works closely with the Center Director in leading the center. The
individual will have a diverse portfolio of activities, including
support of the Center Director in his role as Chair of the Board of
Directors of the NASA-funded Translational Research Institute for
Space Health (TRISH). The candidate will have experience assisting
senior academic, corporate and/or government leaders, and carry out
his/her duties and responsibilities with expertise and
Current BCM employees eligible to transfer are encouraged to
70% Operations in the Office of the Director:
• Oversee the daily operations of the Center and implement changes
and process improvements for optimal efficiency and effectiveness
in coordination with the Director and Administrator.
• Oversee and assist Director with academic appointments and
promotions. Initiate formal correspondence to internal and external
entities ensuring that all requests and requirements are
appropriate and are aligned with policies/procedures.
• Primary liaison between Faculty Affairs, Office of the Provost,
Office of the Registrar, and students.
• Liaise with TRISH Communications and Education Office to
facilitate bidirectional promulgation of information regarding
funding and educational opportunities and events.
• Assist Administrator with hiring of faculty/staff, onboarding,
and terminations. Maintain HR records and ensure compliance with
all federal regulations and college business practices.
• Assist CSM Director with faculty and student interface. Source,
engage, and coordinate faculty lectures ensuring alignment with
course content and student interest.
• Assist in managing resources, compliance and financial aspects of
the Center. Be able to conduct analyses and generate analytical
reports in support of the BCM education and research
• Prepare monthly financial reports from SAP, verifying financial
data, running analysis, and consolidating financial figures into
standard reports. Assist in preparing annual budget and monthly
• Develop, recommend and implement necessary process improvements
and changes. Responsible for purchasing management and inventory
• Participate as a valued member of the CSM and TRISH staff.
10% Course/Pathway Coordinator:
• Serve as the Pathway Coordinator for the Space Medicine Pathway
• Serve as the Course Coordinator for medical student electives in
• Coordinate the documentation and maintenance of workflows,
processes, and procedures as prescribed by the Office of the
• Ensure proper documentation and filing of all work
• Attend all Course/Pathway Coordinator meetings and disseminate
information and initiate actions when appropriate.
10% Administrative Support:
• Update and maintain the CSM website in compliance with BCM
• Manage logistics involving CSM faculty and staff, including
correspondence and meeting notes.
• Support Director in TRISH Board of Director Activities.
• Manage Center Director travel and reimbursements.
10% Special Projects:
• Other duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the Center
Director and Administrator.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field.
- Two years of relevant experience.
• Familiarity with the complexities of running an academic
department or center
• Experience as an executive administrative assistant or
• Evidence of innovative methods or processes developed to improve
business operations at the executive level
• Participation as research staff on large federally-funded
• Experience coordinating academic courses for credit in a
university or medical school
• Interest in human space exploration, research and education
• Energetic self-motivated worker who is superior in intellect and
• Strong organizational and problem solving abilities
• Articulate professional who has excellent verbal and written
• Ability to quickly and accurately convey information and respond
• Desire to work effectively within a diverse team as well as
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action/Equal Access Employer.