The Dean of Natural and Physical Sciences, Business, Technology,
Engineering and Math reports to the Vice President of Academic
Affairs at Baltimore City Community College. The Dean will be
responsible for the realignment and growth of the current School of
Business, Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. As part of the
realignment the Dean will work collaboratively to create pathways
between workforce and the academy. The Dean is responsible for
leadership, curriculum, assessment, program development,
scheduling, personnel management, and financial accountability for
the academic areas within the Division. The Dean will provide
leadership and will develop in collaboration with the Associate
Dean and program administrators the day, evening, weekend,
inter-session, and summer programs with a student first focus.
Within the Division he/she will have oversight and work
collaboratively on program development, program review,
instructional design, and course and program assessment. The Dean
works with the VPAA, other administrators, faculty, and staff to
deliver integrated instructional programs to promote student
success in accordance with the mission, vision, and goals of the
College. The Dean will promote shared government and the
integration between Academic and Student affairs as it relates to
advising and student enrollment functions. The Dean fosters,
develops and maintains strong relationships with local high
schools, four- year institutions and public and community agencies.
- Oversee the coordination of personnel, schedules, resources,
and data to meet the needs of the division and enhance the
educational effectiveness of programs and services,
- Recommend instructional and general policies, conduct meetings
to facilitate planning, data analysis and collegial
- Maintain current knowledge of new trends and innovations in
community colleges and higher education.
- Provide leadership for accreditation and program review,
including the assessment of student learning outcomes.
- Promote excellence in teaching and innovation in curriculum
- Facilitate the partnership with high schools to expand the dual
- Develop guided pathways between workforce and the academy.
- Work with faculty to plan for curriculum expansion,
modifications, and deletions; and set priorities for resource
- Facilitate academic partnerships among program faculty and
four-year transfer institutions.
- Ensure compliance with accreditation and regulatory
- Work with faculty to identify grant resources to support
program development and special projects.
- Work with the Associate Deans to manage fulltime and part time
- Supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned professional
and support staff.
- Work with the Associate Deans to recruit adjunct faculty and
Competencies and Skills Required:
- Provide oversight for the course schedule and the assignment of
faculty to courses; and monitor workloads.
- Work with the Associate Deans and Student Affairs to manage
content for the college catalog.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- Understanding of shared governance and commitment to the
mission of a comprehensive community college.
- Collaborative leadership style; demonstrated creativity and
flexibility in problem solving.
- Current knowledge of best practices in curriculum development
and course/program assessment and institutional/specialized
- Competency in instructional design including technology
enhanced methods of course delivery
- Understanding of innovative pedagogy and instructional
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in the use of research, statistical analysis, and
- Proven ability to provide leadership in a dynamic and rapidly
- Earned Doctorate required from an accredited University in a
STEM discipline (Engineering or Science).
- Minimum of seven years leadership/ management experience at the
Academic Dean, or Academic Administrative level at a university or
college with a proven record of fulltime faculty supervision.
- Working knowledge and implementation of assessment activities
at the course and program levels.
- Experience in course and program review.
- 7-10 years of fulltime teaching in a college/university.
- Teaching experience within a discipline in one of the STEM
- An earned faculty rank at the Assistant Professor level or
- Experience in planning and coordinating for the improvement of
curriculum and instruction.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in ensuring implementation of
student learning outcomes and assessment of student learning.
- Demonstrated commitment to academic excellence.
- A minimum of ten years of experience at the Dean, Department,
Division Head, or Center Director level or above with a proven
record of fulltime faculty supervision.
- Experience monitoring or overseeing funds provided through
grants and contracts with external agencies.
- Experience in developing public and/or private partnerships and
securing external funding.
- Experience working with high schools to develop dual enrollment