The Senior Director, Business and Administrative Operations –
Office of the President reports directly to the Vice President for
Strategic Initiatives and Special Assistant to the President and
provides oversight to the business and administrative functions for
the Office of the President. Together with the Vice President, the
Director is accountable for managing the financial, operational and
administrative functions, developing and maintaining efficient and
effective administrative infrastructure and ensuring current and
long-term business and operational goals are met. This role manages
team members that support business, finance, administrative and
operational work within the office.
• Direct finance, business, and operational planning in concert
with the Vice President.
• Strategically manage financial resources for the office to
achieve optimal utilization, including financial planning,
budgeting, and accounting functions.
• Ensure that administrative services in the office are compliant
with all applicable policies and procedures.
• Generate and analyze financial reports, metrics and other
decision support data.
• Provide administrative direction and coordination of day-to-day
• Serve as administrative liaison between the office and campus
units and stakeholders.
• Ensure projects and initiatives are managed effectively, meeting
• Develop presentations and reports
• Refine and develop an administrative structure that provides the
necessary level of support services needed for the SOM’s continued
success and strategic development.
• Understand and appropriately implement the varied policies and
procedures for staff. This requires direct engagement with director
of human resources for the Office of the President.
• Recruit, interview, select, and evaluate the performance of staff
who report to the Senior Director.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Demonstrated knowledge of overseeing workflow management,
strategic initiatives, and administrative efforts.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment,
prioritize tasks, think proactively, work independently, using good
judgment and experience to make decisions.
• Ability to foster and maintain positive relationships across a
broad range of individuals
• Strategic thinker capable of understanding the full scope of
projects while seeing individual tasks through to completion.
• Strong relationship building, networking, stakeholder engagement,
adaptability, negotiation, contract execution, and strategic
• Committed to taking a team approach within departmental,
divisional and organizational settings.
• Superb interpersonal and customer service skills, and the ability
to have great working relationships (internally and
• Ability to identify, review and select outside vendors as
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to function well as part of a team, working effectively
with a diverse population, including students, faculty, and
• Experience as an administrative leader or supervisor, managing
projects and/or teams
• Excellent analytical, critical thinking, strategic planning,
organizational and problem-solving skills
• Ability to handle sensitive information and maintain
• Demonstrated commitment to the university’s Principles of
Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree or significant
experience equating to an advanced degree. Significant experience
in operational and administrative role within an executive office
Higher education experience is preferred. Experience with
continuous improvement, change management, and high performance
work teams is preferred.
Commensurate with Experience
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim
(That I May Serve),
Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a
hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be
leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution
that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the
world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community
to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more
than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000
undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight
, a school of
, a veterinary
college, Graduate School
, and Honors College
. The university
has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus
in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in
Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices
. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech
conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or
applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including
pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic
information, national origin, political affiliation, race,
religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise
discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about,
discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of
other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an
accommodation, please contact Dana Long at email@example.com during
regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the
June 24, 2021