Location: University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, Baltimore,
The University of Maryland School of Pharmacy is conducting an open
search for a qualified candidate to fulfill the faculty position of
Research Associate (non-tenure track) for the Department of
Pharmaceutical Sciences. The select candidate will engage in
laboratory research with activities funded by the NIH, FDA, and/or
private corporations. This position primarily involves both
independent research project(s), working closely with the PI and
senior staff, as well as collaborative research studies with
members of the lab, and outside members. Secondarily, the position
oversees general laboratory operations.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore campus houses schools of
Pharmacy, Medicine, Nursing, Social Work, Law and Dentistry.
Additionally, the School of Pharmacy has a satellite campus at the
Universities at Shady Grove in Rockville, Maryland. The University
of Maryland enjoys an excellent established record of
accomplishment of successful collaboration for interprofessional
practice and research collaborations with the other professional
schools on campus.
- Lead the development and execution of independent project
research studies and revise experimental plans in collaboration
with the PI.
- Perform a wide variety of cell biology and molecular biology
- Maintain careful laboratory records including written lab
notebooks and well-organized electronic data files.
- Present results to PI and contribute to discussions about data
and direction of studies in the lab.
- Compile, analyze, and interpret research data using various
relevant computer software applications.
- Prepare manuscripts, reports, reviews, and summaries.
- Assist in writing, editing, providing feedback for grant
proposals, funding applications.
- Coordinate with lab members to schedule experiments to optimize
time and use on high-demand instruments.
- Present research findings at national meetings.
- Provide day-to-day laboratory operations oversight to keep lab
functioning optimally. Orient new students to the lab. Develop
policies, procedures and/or methods for laboratory experimentation,
and for ordering supplies. Communicate with lab safety officer to
keep students and lab environment safe and compliant. Identify and
address issues and deficiencies and implement effective solutions.
Schedule and coordinate with vendors and tech support for various
laboratory equipment calibration and instrument maintenance or
- Troubleshoot problems with experiments, equipment, or other
issues that may arise.
- Train and mentor graduate and undergraduate students.
Demonstrate laboratory procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Doctoral degree in Molecular Biology, Pharmaceutical Sciences,
Toxicology, or related field is required. Minimum of three years
post-doctoral training is desired. Candidate must have prior
research experience in preparation and culture of human primary
hepatocytes, RT-PCR, Western blotting, and confocal microscopy.
Experiences in gene promoter analysis and 3D cell culture are
desirable. A solid record of publication is expected. Excellent
verbal and written communication, interpersonal, and organizational
skills are a must.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
HOW TO APPLY
- Skilled in designing and conducting cell biology and molecular
- Ability to network with and provide information to key groups
- Ability to work in collegial fashion with co-workers in the lab
- Provide guidance and consultation to resolve issues.
- Ability to independently perform research in a laboratory
- Ability to lead research activities and perform various
- Skilled in data analysis using spreadsheet and software
- Ability to diagnose equipment malfunctions.
- Design research studies and prepare technical reports and
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent analytical skills
- Teamwork skills
- Interpersonal skills
Interested candidates must apply online through the UMB Online
Recruitment System and submit an initial application that includes
a letter of intent (references Position #05-178-74), curriculum
vitae (signed and dated), writing sample, and the names and contact
information of at least three references. Candidates are required
to submit three letters of recommendation from reviewers external
to the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy. In addition to
applying online, interested candidates may email application
Hongbing Wang, Ph.D.
Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Program Chair, Experimental & Translational Therapeutics
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
University of Maryland School of Pharmacy
HSF II room 549
20 Penn Street, Baltimore MD 21201
Questions regarding this search or to receive more information,
please contact Dr. Hongbing Wang at email@example.com
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex,
gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion,
national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any
other characteristic protected by law or policy.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for a disability, for any
part of the employment process, please contact us a HRJobs@umaryland.edu
and let us
know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for a
reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email