ACADEMIC PERSONNEL SPECIALIST
Academic Personnel Specialist
Arizona State University
CHS Business Solutions
Campus: Downtown Phoenix
The Academic Personnel Specialist provides high-level administrative support for academic personnel HR management. Works with the HR Manager and college administrators to provide support for academic personnel activities including faculty and post doc hiring and renewal, adjunct and other affiliate appointment types, and other related duties as assigned. This position will also support academic personnel HR activities and general operations such as records management and payroll, including processing PeopleSoft payroll transactions and supplemental pay, and related administrative duties. Serves as a resource to other staff and faculty on academic personnel HR general or policy questions. Point of contact on complex academic personnel HR issues, such as researching issues, gathering data, and providing details.
$51,900 - $61,000 per year, DOE
- Monitors process and related policies, and coordinates dates and meetings, and submitted items for academic personnel hiring and renewal and adjunct/other affiliate appointments, and related administrative duties.
- Ensures established university academic personnel policies and procedures are followed.
- Consults with staff and others to coordinate, provide technical advice, and provide problem-solving assistance as it pertains to academic personnel searches and hiring processes; ensures appropriate approvals and processes are followed.
- Reviews all faculty personnel requests to ensure compliance with established standards/criteria prior to submittal.
- Composes offer letters, forms, and other academic correspondence for signature to ensure timely completion and distribution of all applicable documents.
- Participates in meetings and conferences pertinent to area of responsibility. Coordinates academic personnel processes, ensures appropriate approvals are obtained, and maintains academic personnel files consistent with University policies and practices.
- Uses PeopleSoft to gather employee data and research payroll issues, and process payroll transactions.
- Assists with any other special projects and duties as assigned by the HR Manager.
Bachelor's degree and four (4) years administrative support experience; OR,Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience in academic personnel HR processes and policies; working in a higher education environment such as Arizona State University.
- Experience with ASU Academic Personnel human resources software and processes (i.e., PeopleSoft, Interfolio).
- Experience in exercising discretion in confidential personnel matters.
- Experience in personnel transactions programs by determining timing, place and sequence of actions necessary to accomplish goals and meet deadlines.
- Experience in writing skills sufficient to compose letters and correspondence for potential recruitment or renewal candidates, or adjunct faculty, and college's faculty or administrators.
- Experience with payroll including processing payroll transactions in PeopleSoft and calculating or evaluating non-standard salaries and types of compensation.
- Evidence of effective communication and interpersonal skills at all levels including faculty and college administration.
- Experience working in a fast-paced dynamic environment subject to quickly changing priorities and potentially conflicting deadlines.
- Evidence of ability to work independently and solve complex academic personnel questions or issues.
- Experience in on-boarding and processing visa applications (eg. J1, H1-B).
- Experience with administrative functions such as coordinating and scheduling meetings, electronic filing, reporting and data audits, creating and editing forms and using related tools such as DocuSign forms, Adobe Acrobat DC, ASU Data Analytics and reporting, Excel, and Word.
- Uses basic math.
- Deliver presentations.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting.
- Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work.
- Ability to clearly communicate verbally, read, write, see and hear.
- Use office equipment, i.e. printers, copiers, fax machines, telephones, calculator.
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, may include/subject to resolution of conflicts.
- Use of software/computer equipment for extended periods of time.
- Use critical thinking to make decisions and/or analyze and report data/results of tests conducted.
- Ability to use Zoom.
The College of Health Solutions (CHS) is dedicated to translating scientific advances into practical interventions to improve health outcomes through education, research and service. We equip students with the knowledge and skills to influence healthier lifestyle choices; develop creative interventions to improve the health of people and populations; analyze and translate large amounts of health data into solutions; and maximize the technology, science, business and application of diagnostics. CHS research programs encompass basic, discovery science, clinical trials, intervention science and measurement of health outcomes. CHS takes an interdisciplinary approach to address the complex systems that underpin health problems. The college is highly collaborative, transparent and team-oriented with an organizational structure that includes translational teams, affinity networks and academic programs to improve the health of people and communities.
The current training programs include behavioral health, biomedical diagnostics, biomedical informatics, exercise science, health promotion, health sciences, kinesiology, medical studies, nutrition, population health, science of health care delivery, and speech and hearing science. Our programs are offered at ASU’s Downtown Phoenix, Tempe, Polytechnic, West and Lake Havasu campuses, as well as on Mayo Clinic’s campus in north Phoenix.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Fingerprint Check Statement
This position is considered safety/security sensitive and will include a fingerprint check. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the fingerprint check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ see Req Id# 68877BR or go directly to: https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?partnerid=25620&siteid=5494&PageType=JobDetails&jobid=4281519