Assistant Director - Security
Harold Washington College (HWC)is one of the seven City Colleges of Chicago. HWC is located in the Chicago Loop and serves nearly 11,000 students. HWC is a federally designated Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Minority Serving Institution (MSI) with more than 70 percent Latinx or Black students. The college offers an exceptional liberal arts and sciences curriculum and programs in Business, Early Childhood, Architecture, and Digital Media. HWC is City Colleges’ Center for Business. The college is also home to the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses program and is currently the only community college in the city to offer a business degree accessible entirely online. In addition, the college has program partnerships with leading industry organizations such as Aon, Year Up Chicago, DePaul University, and the Joffrey Ballet.
Primary Objective: Assists in ensuring an atmosphere conducive to learning by enforcing all campus policies and security measures.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists in investigating complaints and solving crimes.
Recommends procedures to minimize losses and stop crimes. Informs
students, faculty and staff of college rules and regulations
regarding safety, property control, parking regulations, emergency
response procedures, and building access.
- Serves as second in command in the absence of the Director of
- May supervise all security operations at a satellite location
within the district.
- Reviews incident reports, initiates the required follow-up
actions, and forwards all required reports to Director of
- Responsible for the security and safety of all persons
utilizing the institution’s facilities. Implements, enforces, and
adheres to security policies and procedures for the district and
- May use only necessary force to arrest offenders only if he/she
is also an off-duty sworn officer and has evidence that a crime has
been committed, or detains offenders until Chicago Police arrive
when not a sworn officer. The general rule for application of force
is that only necessary force may be used. When force is applied by
an individual (for example, to protect life, or property), the
amount of force permissible is, likewise, only that which is
reasonable and necessary under the circumstances and in compliance
with federal and state statutes.
- May participate in recruitment, hiring, training, evaluation,
discipline and discharge of personnel within the Security
Department at an assigned location.
- Assists in planning for adequate staffing and ensures that an
appropriate pool of human resources is available to meet safety and
- Assists in directing and supervising security staff. Advises
staff in areas of improvement. Assists in the evaluation of all
security staff and provides constructive feedback on their
- Assists with planning and conducting staff meetings and
training activities for department staff to keep staff informed and
to improve security operations.
- Appears in court hearing, or other offices of government,
related to campus incidents when he/she has signed a complaint, is
required as a witness, or is served with a subpoena, or at other
times as necessary.
- May represent the college at district-wide meetings.
- Assists with verifying all time and attendance records for
- Adheres to CCC Customer Service Excellence standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field preferred plus 3-4 years law
enforcement experience with 2 years supervisory experience; or an
equivalent combination of education and professional work
experience may be considered at the discretion of management.
Knowledge of all relevant state statutes and local
- Must be able to handle all situations with tact,
persuasiveness, and diplomacy.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both verbal and written
- Working knowledge of personal computers and the applicable
software used a plus.
- Good decision making skills and the ability to exhibit firmness
with understanding when dealing with students and staff.
- Excellent employment record.
- Physical ability to perform the assigned duties and
responsibilities of the position.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Other Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Safety & Security Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago