Assistant Football Coach
Assistant Football Coach
Sensitive Position Statement
A sensitive position requires a fingerprint-based criminal history check. This is NOT a sensitive position.
Campus Security Authority
Campus Security Authority Statement
This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority (or CSA) is defined as an “official of the institution with significant responsibility for student and campus activities.” A CSA is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to them to the University Police who will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for all personnel who have been designated as a Campus Security Authority.
Designated Personnel Statement
A “designated position” means this position could potentially be required to work (depending on the event) during an emergency closing. This is NOT a “designated position.”
Statement of Economic Interest
Statement of Economic Interest Statement
This position does NOT require a Statement of Personal Economic Interest.
Restricted Position Statement
This is a restricted position subject to availability of funding.
Chief Objective of Position
Responsible for assisting in all aspects of maintaining a successful Division III intercollegiate football program and providing specialized expertise in their assigned area(s) of concentration.
1. Assist with field and classroom instruction and coaching in football techniques and strategy of the Christopher Newport University football team. In addition this position will be responsible for coaching a defensive position group; evaluate individual performance and provide leadership and instruction in areas of deficiency as required.
2. Participate in the collection and analysis of tactical and statistical data of opponent teams; assist in designing game plans and strategies; analyze performance of football team and adjust strategies as needed.
3. Consults with University faculty and administrators for the amelioration of academic issues and concerns for student success.
4. Screen and evaluate athletic qualifications of prospective football recruits, coordinate with University Undergraduate Admissions Office to establish academic eligibility and arrange meetings between prospects and the university. Coordinates campus tours for visiting prospective players. Assists with new student orientation activities.
5. Compile and assist in the analysis of game statistics for an assigned area of Christopher Newport University football team performance.
6. Assist in the planning and administering of the off season physical training program; provide special training for the individual football team members as required.
7. Promotes the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletics program to include adhering to all departmental policies and procedures, as well as the rules and regulations of the university and NCAA.
8. Represent the Christopher Newport University Athletic Department in professional, civic, charity, and alumni events.
9. Perform public relations and marketing activities to promote athletic program: perform community relation activities.
10. Develops and maintains very positive and professional customer service and/or relations within the office/department and with all constituencies to include students, faculty, staff, guests, and employees. Demonstrates a positive and professional attitude and treats everyone with dignity and respect. Fully supports the “Student’s First” value at CNU and routinely goes the extra mile in providing service.
11. This position is designated as a “responsible employee” who has the authority to redress sexual violence, who has the duty to report incidents of sexual violence or other student misconduct, or who a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
12. This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority. A Campus Security Authority is required to immediately report any crime that is reported to them to the CNU Police. The CNU Police will then review, evaluate, and investigate the reported crime. Annual training is required by the Department of Education for faculty and staff designated as a Campus Security Authority.
13. Safety issues are reviewed and communicated to assure a safe and healthy workplace and a reduction in work related absence.
14. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) required
Knowledge of National Collegiate Athletics Association rules and regulations. Ability to learn and work with Conference rules and regulations. Skill in training or instructing student-athletes; excellent interpersonal communication skills. Demonstrated organizational and time management skills. Ability to analyze situations and develop solutions; travel and work non-traditional hours; manage people and projects.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA's) preferred
Knowledge of and demonstrated experience with NCAA Division III rules and regulations.
Must have a Master’s Degree in a related field or a Bachelor’s Degree and work experience at a level which equates to an advanced degree.
Previous coaching and experience at the university or college level.
Substantial experience coaching college football. Prior experience with position group and in depth knowledge of special teams. Proven experience in recruiting successful student athletes consistent with NCAA guidelines. Experience in fostering positive internal and external public relations. Prior experience in team management to include supervising.
Selected by The Princeton Review for The 386 Best Colleges: 2021 Edition, and highly ranked for its quality of life and innovative leadership, Christopher Newport University is a public school offering a private school experience — great teaching, small classes, and a safe, vibrant campus. A “student-first, teaching-first” community, Christopher Newport is dedicated to the ideals of scholarship, leadership and service. The University is located between Williamsburg and the Virginia beaches in Newport News, and enrolls 5,100 students. Academic programs encompass more than 90 areas of study, from biology to business administration and political science to the performing arts. The University has a new and technologically advanced campus, has generated over 7,300 applications for a freshmen class of 1,155 and has been ranked by U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges guide as fourth among public regional universities in the South and seventh among all regional universities in the South. In addition, Christopher Newport is ranked third among all public schools for having "the highest proportion of classes with fewer than 20 students.” Christopher Newport is committed to ensuring that all people are welcomed, honored and fully engaged in the life of our academic community. We seek exceptional and diverse candidates and encourage applications from individuals who are underrepresented in their profession. For further details and information about Christopher Newport, visit http://www.cnu.edu.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Interested parties are requested to submit a cover letter; current resume; and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references at the time of application.
Review of applications will begin July 11, 2021. Applications received after July 11, 2021, will be accepted but considered only if needed.
Search finalists are required to complete a CNU sponsored background check.
Christopher Newport University (CNU) will make a reasonable effort to accommodate persons with disabilities in the application and/or interview process. Persons with disabilities who require accommodation should contact the CNU Human Resources Office by calling (757) 594-7145.
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Christopher Newport University, an EO Employer, is fully
Committed to Access and Opportunity.
Notice of Non-Discrimination & Title IX Policy Statement: