GRINNELL COLLEGE. The Department of Chemistry invites
applications for a
Chemistry Equipment and Technical Assistant (12 month position,
start August 2021).
The Chemistry Equipment and Technical Assistant has
responsibilities for technical support of equipment
(instrumentation) and instruction in the Chemistry Department. The
assistant will perform regular maintenance, repair, and
troubleshooting on laboratory, demonstration, and research
equipment in the department and coordinate with the college’s
Information Technology Services on computer support as necessary.
The assistant will also prepare materials for teaching laboratories
and demonstrations, and provide support for faculty and student
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of experience or an equivalent
combination of higher education and experience.
• Knowledge of chemistry
• Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, and
strong work ethic.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to manage multiple ongoing tasks and shift between work
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to work with students in a supervisory capacity.
• Values diversity, equity and inclusion
- Ability to perform maintenance and repair on a wide range of
• Chemistry knowledge to properly handle chemicals, understand the
risks of those chemicals, and to use the chemicals to prepare
accurate solutions/reagents for teaching laboratories and class
Selected candidate must successfully pass a background check
prior to first day of employment.
Specific questions about this search should be directed to
Professor Elizabeth Trimmer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or