Dakota State University is seeking a dynamic, self-guided
applicant to serve as a Professional Academic Advisor in the
First-Year Advising Office. This is a 12-month, on-campus,
benefit-eligible position. The Advising Office works to promote the
success of undergraduate students by offering programs such as
academic advising, learning assistance, and first-year support to
help students build a strong academic foundation that encourages
timely degree completion and life-long learning.
The successful candidates will implement advising practices and
interventions that promote student success and support student
transition from high school to college. The advisor will be
required to learn academic and student policies and procedures to
be able to effectively communicate with students on an ongoing
• A bachelor’s degree is required. A master’s degree is
• A minimum of one year of experience in academic advising or
another related experience.
• Proactively advise a caseload of undergraduate students on
matters ranging from selecting a program of study and course
registration to academic skill development, curricular and
co-curricular engagement, and financial well-being.
• Connect and refer students to appropriate resources on and off
• Maintain up-to-date, accurate, and detailed documentation on
student interactions, progress, and meetings.
• Frequent communication with students (face to face, email,
texting and phone).
• Use progressive technology to assist in student success
• Learn, follow, and disseminate campus policy and procedures
including general education, major and minor and graduation
• Support students on academic probation or readmit status.
• Assist students in exploring career options related to their
academic program of study.
• Follow up with early interventions based on university Early
• Participate in advisor trainings and regular staff meetings as
well as deliver presentations about academic advising in classrooms
and other settings.
• Contribute to the continuing development of the Advising Office
through committee work and through collaboration with academic
departments and other campus offices.
• Represent the Advising Office at various University events and
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of activities designed to enhance student success and
• Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication
• High attention to detail and organization skills.
• Ability and willingness to work with a diverse student
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working
• Ability to interpret, explain and apply rules and
• Knowledge of multiple computer applications including MS Word, MS
Excel, and Outlook is required.
• Previous use of technology, to support and promote student
success (i.e., Banner, EAB-Navigate) is preferred.
Note: This position is subject to continued external
DSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To
apply, visit https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu.
The employment site will allow the attachment of a cover letter,
resume and supporting references, including email addresses and
telephone numbers of at least three references.
Review of applications will continue until the position is
DSU is located in Madison, South Dakota in the southern lakes
region of the state. The region boasts a wealth of outdoor sports
and a life-style possible only in smaller towns and rural
communities. Madison is just a 50-minute drive from Sioux Falls,
the largest city in South Dakota.
Dakota State employees receive a comprehensive and flexible
benefits package including paid time off, health and retirement
benefits, and life and disability insurance options. Other benefits
include reduced tuition, longevity pay and training opportunities.
DSU also provides professional liability coverage.
DSU is committed to recruitment, hiring, and retention of
Applicants with disabilities are invited to identify any
necessary accommodations required in the application process.