Division Business Officer
To create a Posting, first complete the information on this screen, then click the 'Next' button or select the page in the left hand navigation menu. Proceed through all sections completing all necessary information. To submit the Posting to Human Resources, you must go to the 'Posting Summary Page' by clicking on the 'Next' button until you reach the Posting Summary Page or select Posting Summary Page from the left navigation menu. Once a summary page appears, hover your mouse over the orange Action button for a list of possible approval step options.
Working Title Division Business Officer Department Student Affairs Compensation Title Position Number 30024926 Position Status Regular Work Schedule
Monday-Friday 8:15 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
This position may require occasional evening and/or weekend hours.
Hours per Week 37.5 Months per Year 12 Commitment to Inclusive Excellence
Northern Kentucky University ( NKU ) seeks excellence by enriching its educational environment and culture through the diversity of its administration, faculty and staff and by embracing inclusiveness, equity, and global awareness in all dimensions of its work. NKU is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action institution. We encourage applications by members of diverse groups and by persons with a demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity and experience in achieving goals relative to inclusive excellence.
Purpose of Position
Under the direction of the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Division Business Officer will serve as the primary point of contact and liaison for efforts in Student Affairs related to budget development and management; procurement bid process, contract development, construction, renovation, and travel; talent acquisition and human resource alignment; professional development and continuing education; assessment strategies, execution, and reporting; and special projects and strategic initiatives in support of fulfilling the mission and vision of the Division of Student Affairs. Serving as the primary liaison to the Division of Finance and Administration; Budget Office; Comptroller; Planning, Design, and Construction; Institutional Research; Legal Affairs; and Procurement, the Director will be a public internal face for the Division, working to create synergies that promulgate success.
1. Maintain status, analyze, and track all division cost centers and budget planning processes. Provide transactional support to the division. Oversee all administrative transactions needed for the division to operate efficiently, including data collection related to position budget management, employment, funding, and cost status changes. Direct and oversee the compilation and preparation of annual operating budget submissions and any other special projects related to the division’s fiscal and budget management. Identify strengths and/or weaknesses in budget plans and build financial data models, reporting systems, and performance metrics to identify trends and guide data-informed decision making. Develop, formulate, and recommend solutions to address complex issues and concerns that may arise related to resource allocation. Work directly with functional units to recommend operational and strategic objectives and identify solutions for execution. Maintain an adequate system of internal controls, ensuring that the budget and account related allocations, transactions, transfers, and activities adhere to the policies and operating guidelines of the university and the division. Participate in short and long-range fiscal planning and goal setting for the division. Develop timelines and procedures relative to Divisional fiscal management. Perform all fiscal year end close transactions as outlined by the NKU Budget Office. Participate in University-wide efforts to establish administrative and financial plans, policies, and efficiencies. Provide secondary supervision (dotted line) and training to all departmental fiscal officers.
2. Lead the conceptualization and design of Division strategies to assess learning, programs, and services. Coordinate development of Division assessment plan, tools, and methodologies based on strategic goals and objectives. Identify aggregate data and methods for data collection and analysis. Develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with Student Affairs units, including convening a working group of Division staff with assessment and research responsibilities on a regular basis to identify needs, discern objectives and develop effective approaches to assessment and research with students and other stakeholders. Collaborate with Institutional Research to support connections between Student Affairs and relevant activities in academic support areas and colleges. Serve as primary Division contact for assessment and research platforms. Serve as Division representative to institutional assessment committee.
3. Perform approvals for major budget transfers and expenses, position related changes, and technology purchases, under the authority and delegation of the Vice President for Student Affairs. Provide independent complex accounting and record-keeping support services and assist in training new employees with budgetary responsibilities. Monitor the allocation of specialized resources including federal, state, institutional, and grant funds. Monitor revenue and expenditures monthly. Develop, disseminate, and coordinate divisional standards regarding contracts, purchase orders, RFP /bidding processes, travel purchases, labor costs, and other activities essential to the operations of the Division of Student Affairs.
4. Direct divisional marketing and communications. Oversee all divisional websites and web design, assuring brand standard conformity and alignment with institutional expectations. Coordinate optimization of social media efforts and outreach and develop reports on efficacy and impact. Write monthly newsletter focused on promoting the work of Student Affairs and sharing Divisional successes. Coordinate planning, execution, and update of Student Handbook and A.I. based ChatBots for Student Affairs. Publish bi-annual virtual and physical events calendars and distribute to students, faculty, staff, and administrators.
5. Ensure competency of staff through the development and/or presentation of education programs. Create robust opportunities to engage staff in learning and discussion around topics of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusiveness. Develop on-going professional development and continuing education opportunities for staff throughout the Division of Student Affairs. Create opportunities for the development and integration of cross-functional knowledge to maximize opportunities to serve students. Recommend staff participation in professional organizations and develop processes to encourage staff engagement in outside development and networking opportunities.
6. Generate strategic opportunities to enhance the services of Student Affairs, including coordination of the RSO Advisory Board, organization of Divisional All-Staff meetings, and distribution of information and resources to institutional faculty, staff, and administrators. Execute other special projects related to strategic initiatives and strategic planning, as assigned or delegated by the Vice President for Student Affairs.
7. Other duties as assigned.
Experience with budgeting and procurement in the higher education environment, experience implementing assessment strategies in the higher education environment, understanding of marketing and public relations, investment in strategies to promote and infuse diversity, equity, and inclusion into the working environment.
Strong skills with Microsoft Office applications, assessment software, experience with web development and social media, ability to develop robust relationships across the institutional environment.
Minimum Education Master's Degree Preferred Education Minimum Experience 6 years Salary Pay Grade S73
Requisition Number 2021S1382 Job Open Date 06/18/2021 Job Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Quick Link https://jobs.nku.edu/postings/10381 Is this an internal only posting? Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- NKU Jobs Site
- Inside Higher Ed
- Employee Referral
- * Education - Master's Degree or higher?
- * How many years of full-time related experience do you
(Open Ended Question)
- * What related experience in your background would make you a
good candidate for this position?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Chief Academic Officers & Vice Presidents Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Institutional Research & Planning Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Newport