Instructional Science Laboratory Supervisor
Job Posting Title Instructional Science Laboratory Supervisor Location Los Rios Community College District (Sacramento City College) Department Location Science and Allied Health Posting Number C01518P The Institution
Founded in 1916, Sacramento City College ( SCC ) is a multi-campus, urban college that consists of a 70-acre main campus across from William Land Park. The College has two educational centers, one in Davis on the campus of the University of California, Davis, and one in West Sacramento located adjacent to the public library, community center, and civic center. SCC is a vibrant teaching and learning institution with approximately 20,000 day and evening students and is recognized as both a Hispanic-Serving Institution ( HSI ) and an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution ( AANAPISI ).
SCC has a rich history in the community and has expanded educational opportunities to students across the region. SCC awards Associate in Arts or Science degrees as well as Associate Degrees for Transfer, which guarantee transfer into the California State University system. The College offers Career Education certificates and degrees, transfer credit for students who desire to continue their education at a four-year college or university, and instruction in basic skills such as English, English as a second language, and mathematics.
Faculty and staff at SCC value a collaborative and diverse campus community. As one of four colleges within the Los Rios Community College District, Sacramento City College embraces change, values excellence in academic achievement, and supports the success of students as they pursue their dreams. Position Summary
Under the general direction of the assigned dean, plans, organizes, and directs the operations of multiple instructional computer laboratories on a college campus; trains, supervises, and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel; performs related duties as assigned. [For a detailed job description for this LRSA Los Rios Supervisors Association posting click here ]. Benefits
Los Rios Community College District offers competitive salaries and a very comprehensive employee benefits package to include medical insurance, CalPERS retirement, and opportunities for additional insurance and financial investments.
Full-time, twelve-month employees receive 17 days of annual paid holidays, 21 days’ vacation yearly and 8 hours of sick leave per month. Los Rios also offers extensive professional development opportunities with the district and financial support and/or paid time off to complete external academic studies. (See full LRSA contract agreement details) Assignment Responsibilities
Plans, organizes, and directs the operations of instructional science laboratories. Acts as the Chemical Hygiene Officer for the science labs. Works with District Risk Management to maintain current knowledge of and ensure compliance with federal and state regulatory, safety and health standards and to ensure safe and legal acquisition, use, storage and disposal of all chemicals and hazardous materials in the science labs. In coordination with the dean and faculty; develops, records, implements and oversees work/lab policies and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work and learning environment in support of student learning objectives. Hires, trains, supervises, schedules, and evaluates the performance of assigned laboratory technicians, instructional assistants and other assigned personnel. Works with appropriate staff members in maintaining Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for laboratory preparations. Schedules personnel including student assistants to support the instructional science laboratory program. Works with appropriate dean in developing departmental budget needs. Monitors and maintains budgets for assigned functions and activities, including specifying, ordering, receiving and issuing materials, parts and supplies; monitor expenditures in accordance with District policies and procedures. Oversees the inventory of equipment by funding source. Maintains inventory of expendable supplies and orders supplies needed for the operation of multiple instructional science laboratories. May oversee collection and maintenance of live and preserved plant and animal specimens and bacterial cultures using appropriate techniques, equipment and procedures. Oversees preparation of laboratory material and equipment for laboratory sessions and class demonstrations according to the instructions of the faculty. Acquires, controls, safely stores, operates, maintains, and, repairs large inventory of delicate, expensive laboratory equipment, and materials in assigned area; this may include hazardous materials. Serves as resource person to instructors; recommends laboratory equipment and supplies. Coordinates the purchase of new equipment and software. Ensures the security of assigned assets. Schedules maintenance of assigned equipment and orders replacement components as needed. Coordinates laboratory upgrades and renovations in collaboration with faculty and assigned dean. Coordinates the scheduling and use of facilities and equipment with technicians and faculty. May ensure life science museum/teaching collection is maintained in good order, including overseeing the repair/replacement of museum artifacts as appropriate; and may oversee the scheduling of faculty use of the collection and other educational uses of the collection. Maintains all appropriate state and federal permits and required annual reports. Performs related duties as assigned Additional Information Work Year 12 month Work Schedule
7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday – Friday Total Hrs per Week/Day 40 hours Special Requirements Minimum Qualifications
Experience: Three years of increasingly responsible experience, including one year in a lead or supervisory capacity, in an instructional science laboratory environment. Experience working with instruments and equipment commonly used in undergraduate college science laboratory instruction.
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a science discipline, or an associate degree in a science discipline plus two additional years of qualifying experience.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)
Education must be from an accredited institution. Application Instructions
- A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
- Resume (required).
- Unofficial transcripts of college/university work
- Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified.
- Applicants indicating “see resume” on the application will not have that referenced experience considered for minimum qualifications, which may lead to the application being disqualified.
- Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as unofficial transcripts.
- It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide unofficial transcripts if required in the minimum qualifications for the position. (Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualifications for the position).
- Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees, and other relevant documents.
- A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
- Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies. For additional information on Foreign Transcript Evaluations click here .
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested. Physical Demands Salary $5,832.47 per month. LRCCD Salary Schedules Additional Salary Information No additional salary information to note
Posting Date 06/23/2021 Closing Date 07/14/2021 Open Continuously No Beginning and/or Ending Dates
N/A How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 during our business hours.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to HR@losrios.edu. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date. Conditions
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire. Quicklink https://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/15565 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Have you ever been convicted of an offense other than a minor
traffic violation (you must disclose convictions that have been
dismissed pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008)?
If yes, complete Form No. P-881 by clicking on the following link
and downloading the form to your computer: http://wserver.losrios.edu/hr/forms/P-881,10-2013.pdf
Attach the completed form with your application to this posting.
- * Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to –
where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- D'Primeramano Magazine
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Handshake (CSU, UC Job Boards)
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- LRCCD Resource Group - API (Asian Pacific Islander Legacy)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Black Faculty & Staff Association (BFSA)
- LRCCD Resource Group Native American Collaborative (NAC)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Spectrum (LGBTQIA+)
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- The HUB
- Letter of Interest
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Library & Information Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento