Public Safety Officer
Public Safety Officer
Job No: 496712
Position Type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
Categories: Public Safety
Responsible for ensuring the safety and security of all University property and community members, both on and off campus. Duties include patrolling the campus on foot, bike, and in university-owned vehicles; responding to emergencies quickly and calmly, and determining the appropriate course of action; monitoring campus buildings, including fire, intrusion alarm, remote systems, and other security systems; providing security escort services for students and employees as requested; providing emergency first aid and/or requesting other medical services as needed; assisting with traffic detail and crowd control during special events; investigating incidents and writing reports; and enforcing parking regulations. Officers are required to participate in on-going job-related training and development activities. This is a second shift position. Officers must work a flexible schedule including weekdays, weekends, and holidays, over 3 shifts.
- To know and enforce all university policies and regulations and
local and state laws.
- Patrol by foot, bike, or vehicle University properties,
surrounding areas and neighborhoods as assigned, in an effort to
- Possess and maintain Act 120 certification in accordance with
- Properly and safely carry and use, when necessary, various
- Respond to emergencies and incidents in a timely manner;
determine the appropriate course of action and notify law
enforcement officials or other members of the campus community as
- Promptly provide emergency first aid and/or request other
related medical services as needed.
- Support the crime prevention and safety mission on
- Gather and compile information, write reports, and disperse to
appropriate parties for criminal, fire, incident, or accident
investigations, or for medical or hazardous conditions.
- Enforce campus traffic and parking regulations; issue tickets
and/or citation or warnings as necessary.
- Provide students and employees escort services as requested.
Respond to requests in a timely and courteous manner.
- Transport and escort sick or injured students to and from
Student Health Services or local hospitals when
- Respond to a variety of alarms such as fire, burglary, and
other supervisory alarms. Assist in conducting alarm testing and
evacuation drills. Respond to other types of alarms.
- Cross-train and serve as communications officer as necessary.
In this capacity, monitor alarms, emergency telephone systems,
closed circuit television, and dispatch Public Safety staff as
- Maintain traffic details and crowd control for special
- Lock and unlock campus buildings.
- Maintain daily logs, reports, incident cards, and
- To assist members and guests of the University in whatever
manner possible in Public Safety related problems and issues. -
Attend training classes and departmental meetings as
- To assist local law enforcement and fire agencies in the
performance of their duties.
- Provide on-the-job training to co-workers as requested. Regular
attendance is required.
- Provide support and backup to the Communications Officers as
- Drop off and pick up items as needed.
- Enter information into the computer systems.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Must possess PA Act 120 certification; Act 2; or Act 120
equivalent (POST Academy).
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid PA vehicle
- Must demonstrate good written and oral communication
- Must demonstrate the ability to interact sensitively and
effectively with members of an academic community.
- Must be available to work weekends and some
- Must be able to reach campus within 30 minutes of driving time
in the event of an emergency.
- Must be able to maintain Act 120 & ACT 235 standards
including vision requirements.
The Public Safety Officer occasionally will be required to lift, move, push, pull, or carry materials weighing from 20 to 50 lbs. Regular walking, biking, and driving is required. Must be able to run, bend, lift, and climb as required. Must be able to quickly respond to critical incidents.
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496712/public-safety-officer