Duration of Position:
Full year / Full time
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly
selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar
is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the
values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment
of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a
pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar
College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and
applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members
of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.Note: Vassar
College has a universal vaccination policy requiring a COVID-19
vaccination for all employees except for those exempt for medical
or religious reasons.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
There are four (4) Shop Helper positions available. The Shop Helper
is responsible to assist with the execution of operational tasks
and functions in the mechanical and building departments in
Facilities Operations as assigned. This includes the Grounds,
Plumbing & Heating, HVAC, Electrical, Painting and Mason scopes
of work. The Shop Helper role requires a general knowledge of all
of these areas and the ability to be trained and further develop
skills through on the job experience.
- Assists with the repairs and maintains mechanical and building
systems throughout campus in all trade shops as assigned.
- Responsible for the upkeep of all tools and maintain all Vassar
owned equipment assigned.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment daily.
- Conform to all federal, state, and local regulatory agencies
with regard to codes (i.e. EPA, OSHA, ASTM, ADA, NEC, UL, ASME,
ISA, AMSI, and Vassar polices).
- Responsible for communicating and working effectively with
- Perform other duties related to the shop as assigned.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- A minimum of six months experience working in a facilities
environment or education and training sufficient to perform the
duties and meet the qualifications described.
- Knowledge of proper use and safety requirement of shop, hand,
and power tools is required.
- Ability to set up materials lists for installations or
renovations is required.
- Ability to work from blueprints, shop drawings, schematics and
verbal explanations is required.
- Must be able to move, position, place and transport objects up
to and including 75 pounds.
- Must be able to perform repeated bending, squatting, stooping,
pushing, and pulling.
- Must be able to remain stationary or continuous move around
campus for a prolonged period of time.
- Must be able to ascend and descend ladders and scaffolding;
must be able to work from an aerial bucket.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, including
understanding, speaking, reading and writing is required.
- Attendance and performance will be considered. Willingness to
work overtime as available. Overtime, including responding to after
hour and weekend emergencies, is assigned according to seniority
To apply you will be required to complete the Vassar College
Employment Application, including your complete work history and
contact information for 3 supervisor references (please: no
relatives, friends or co-workers). You will have the option of
attaching a cover letter, resume, and additional reference contact
information. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Inquiries may be directed to the Human Resources Office at (845)
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2118.