Department: Facilities Operations
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Employee Type: Service
Posting Date: 06/04/2021
Union Representation: SEIU
Posting Number: SS047P
Pay Rate: $18.66/hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
There are four (4) Shop Helper positions available. The Shop Helper is responsible to assist with the execution of operational tasks and functions in the mechanical and building departments in Facilities Operations as assigned. This includes the Grounds, Plumbing & Heating, HVAC, Electrical, Painting and Mason scopes of work. The Shop Helper role requires a general knowledge of all of these areas and the ability to be trained and further develop skills through on the job experience. Responsibilities:
- Assists with the repairs and maintains mechanical and building systems throughout campus in all trade shops as assigned.
- Responsible for the upkeep of all tools and maintain all Vassar owned equipment assigned.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment daily.
- Conform to all federal, state, and local regulatory agencies with regard to codes (i.e. EPA, OSHA, ASTM, ADA, NEC, UL, ASME, ISA, AMSI, and Vassar polices).
- Responsible for communicating and working effectively with other trades.
- Perform other duties related to the shop as assigned.
- A minimum of six months experience working in a facilities environment or education and training sufficient to perform the duties and meet the qualifications described.
- Knowledge of proper use and safety requirement of shop, hand, and power tools is required.
- Ability to set up materials lists for installations or renovations is required.
- Ability to work from blueprints, shop drawings, schematics and verbal explanations is required.
- Must be able to move, position, place and transport objects up to and including 75 pounds.
- Must be able to perform repeated bending, squatting, stooping, pushing, and pulling.
- Must be able to remain stationary or continuous move around campus for a prolonged period of time.
- Must be able to ascend and descend ladders and scaffolding; must be able to work from an aerial bucket.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, including understanding, speaking, reading and writing is required.
- Attendance and performance will be considered. Willingness to work overtime as available. Overtime, including responding to after hour and weekend emergencies, is assigned according to seniority guidelines.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply you will be required to complete the Vassar College Employment Application, including your complete work history and contact information for 3 supervisor references (please: no relatives, friends or co-workers). You will have the option of attaching a cover letter, resume, and additional reference contact information. Review of applications will begin immediately. Inquiries may be directed to the Human Resources Office at (845) 437-5820
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2000.