University Code 13221 University Title Communications Specialist 1 University Job Family Communications ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Multi Title Scope of Search Regional Working Title Communications Specialist Position Number 571930 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department VP Student Affairs Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The chief purpose of this position is to support the housing communication and marketing efforts for Residential Life and Housing. Reporting to the Director of Communications and Marketing in the Division of Student Affairs, this position will provide support in the areas of graphic design, marketing campaigns, content development and social media. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: developing of a marketing plan, designing print and electronic communication and marketing materials, managing digital platforms such as social media and the website and effectiveness of communication and marketing initiatives. In addition, the Communications Specialist will help support and contribute to communications and marketing initiatives for the division.
Minimum Hiring Standards
• B.A./B.S. in communications, marketing or related field, or equivalent training and/or experience.
• Familiarity with designing cohesive marketing collateral and printed publications.
• Ability to manage multiple projects with a high degree of accuracy to meet deadlines.
• Experience creating and implementing email marketing campaigns.
• Demonstrated knowledge of prominent social media platforms.
• Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite and other graphic design software.
• Evidence of strong communication skills, including listening, writing, and speaking.
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Capacity to work creatively in both collaborative and independent contexts.
• Strong customer service skills.
• Ability to make efficient use of available resources.
• Ability to understand and comply with University and State policies, procedures, and guidelines.
• Demonstrated ability to use discretion and good judgment, maintain confidentiality, and work under multiple deadlines.
• Ability to work strategically in a fast paced, complex work environment while effectively interacting with diverse groups of people and meeting deadlines.
• Demonstrated commitment to student success.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards
• Ability to author, develop and update online content.
• Knowledge of AP style.
• Knowledge of photograph and videography best practices and implementation.
• Working knowledge of software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Familiarity with data analytics and reporting.
• Familiarity with web accessibility standards.
• Experience in a higher education setting.
• Knowledge of Division goals, operations, personnel, functions, services, facilities, and programs.
• Knowledge of student development, student learning outcomes and assessment, student affairs.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range $40,000 - 45,000 Application Process/Additional Information
Please upload a portfolio that includes professional examples of marketing, communications and graphic design projects. For best consideration, please submit your application by July 9.
Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm Job Open Date 06/21/2021 Posting will close on or before 07/19/2021 Open Until Filled No Job Category Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? No Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/107101 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document