Visiting Assistant Professor of Women’s Studies / Distinguished Visiting Professor
TheDepartment of Women’s StudiesatSt. Catherine
Universityinvites applications and nominations for the position
ofVisiting Professor/ Distinguished Visiting Professorfor
the 2021-2022 academic year. This is a full-time, temporary faculty
appointment that is grant funded and that has the potential to be
The undergraduate college at St. Catherine is one of only 4 US institutions that is both a women’s college and a minority serving institution. The Women’s Studies department was founded in 1983, is located in the Division of Social Sciences, and features a major and two minors including women and the arts, as well as a major in women and international development. St. Kate’s also has a Critical Race and Ethnicity major and minor and a Critical Hmong studies minor. Our classes are seminar style and typically enroll 20 or fewer students. At its heart, the legacy of its founders, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (CSJs), informs every facet of our private Catholic university, with a commitment to justice and love of neighbor without distinction.
We seek a visionary scholar working at the intersections of gender and critical race studies to help us re-imagine our curriculum and to rethink women’s higher education in the 21st century. We are particularly interested in candidates holding interdisciplinary PhDs in Women’s Studies and a research and teaching focus on gender/sexuality and Critical Race and/or Ethnic Studies.
The successful candidate will have a track record of successful undergraduate teaching of racially and gender diverse students in a liberal arts context. In addition, we prefer candidates who can demonstrate excellence in mentoring students from underrepresented groups in higher education. We welcome candidates of any academic rank. Area Should a senior scholar be chosen the designation of Visiting Distinguished Professor will be awarded. This position has a reduced teaching load. Service expectations include department meetings and collaborative work with the Division Chair.
St. Catherine University in St. Paul/Minneapolis, Minnesota, is a comprehensive Catholic university and home to one of the nation’s largest colleges for women, with associate and graduate programs for all genders. Founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet in 1905, the University integrates liberal arts and professional education within the Catholic traditions of intellectual inquiry and social teaching. Committed to excellence and opportunity, St. Catherine enrolls nearly 5,000 students in certificate, associate, baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral programs in traditional day and evening/weekend/online formats.
- PhD in Gender, Women’s and Sexuality Studies with a research
and teaching emphasis on the intersections of race and
- Demonstrated teaching effectiveness in Gender, Women’s and
Sexuality Studies and/or Critical Race and Ethnicity Studies
courses such as Introduction to Women’s Studies, Feminist Theory,
Senior Capstone Seminar, Introduction to Critical Race
- Record of Visiting or Distinguished Visiting scholarly achievement commensurate with the position
- Evidence of collaborative work related to curriculum
- Expertise in interdisciplinary approaches to teaching and
- Record of creating institutional change related to diversity,
equity, and inclusion
- Transnational approaches to gender and critical race studies in teaching and/or research
We seek creative, adaptable staff who enjoy working in a university climate that promotes cultural diversity, multicultural understanding, and cultural fluency. Consistent with the university’s commitment to women, diversity and social justice, preference will be given to candidates who manifest these themes in their experience and service.
St. Catherine University is an equal opportunity employer. Our commitment to inclusion reflects the central value of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet to “love of neighbor without distinction” and provides a learning and working environment that is enriched by the diversity of all our members. Individuals of religious, racial, ethnic, gender identity, nation of origin, or disability groups that have traditionally had less representation in higher education are encouraged to apply. Should you need an interview accommodation please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org 651-690-6565.Application instructions for FACULTY
Careersto apply. Three references and successful completion of
a background check will be required for employment. For
information, contact Jocelyn Stitt email@example.com.
Application deadline is July 12, 2021.
St. Catherine University
2004 Randolph Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105
Equal Opportunity Employer / Drug Free Workplace / Tobacco Free Workplace
Our university is a proud member of the Upper MidwestHERCand is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff and assisting dual career couples. For more information and to find other higher education jobs in the Upper Midwest region, visit: www.uppermidwestherc.org.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- *HRQ: What is your highest level of
- Some high school
- High school diploma or GED
- Some college
- Associate's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Some graduate school
- Master's degree
- Professional degree (e.g., JD, MD)
- Doctoral degree
- *HRQ: For any education beyond high
school, what was your area of focus?
(Open Ended Question)
- *HRQ: St. Kate’s is committed to
making Inclusive Excellence a reality and has identified “Drive a
Culture of Inclusive Excellence” as one of six priorities in the
strategic plan. Give a specific example of how you have promoted a
culture that values diversity, equity and inclusion in your current
or recent role(s).
(Open Ended Question)
- *HRQ: Are you presently legally
authorized to work in the United States for any U.S. employer?
Please be aware that St. Catherine University is only able to
consider candidates who are authorized to work in the United
- *HRQ: St. Catherine University
welcomes applications from candidates who are traditionally
under-represented. We are happy to consider candidates who are
currently in possession of a temporary work visa, however, please
be aware that we do not offer employment visa sponsorship. Will you
now or in the future require an employer to sponsor you for an
employment-based visa/status in the U.S. (e.g. H-1B status)?
- *HRQ: Can you perform the essential
functions of this position with or without accommodation?
- *HRQ: How did you hear about this
- St. Catherine University website
- St. Catherine University employee
- Academic Jobs
- American College Personnel Association (ACPA)
- Association of Catholic Colleges/Universities
- Association of Student Affairs at Catholic Colleges and Universities
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- College or University website
- Council of Independent Colleges
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- Google Jobs
- Higher Education Case Managers Association (HECMA)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Hispanic Outlook on Education Magazine
- Inside Higher Ed
- Insight Into Diversity
- Latinos in Higher Ed
- LGBTQ in Higher Education
- Minnesota College Professionals Association
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- MinnesotaWorks.net/Minnesota Workforce Center
- Minority Jobs
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA)
- National Conference on Race and Ethnicity (NCORE)
- People of Color in Higher Education
- Pioneer Press
- Pollen Midwest
- Saint Paul Chamber of Commerce (SPACC)
- Star Tribune
- Twin Cities Senior Student Affairs Officers listserv
- Women in Higher Education
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint Paul
- Humanities Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint Paul
- American Studies Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint Paul
- Ethnic & Multicultural Studies Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint Paul
- Religion Not specified Full Time jobs in Saint Paul