The Center for Advancement of Health IT at Dakota State
University is currently searching for a Health Information System
Administrator to be located in Pierre, SD at the South Dakota
Public Health Laboratory. The Health Information System
Administrator supports laboratory operations through the
development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancement of
advanced information technology systems at the South Dakota Public
Health Laboratory. The administrator works directly with laboratory
leadership to define laboratory information technology needs, and
assists with the selection of software and supporting hardware to
meet those needs. The administrator works with commercial vendors,
state information technology (IT) staff, and laboratory staff to
implement laboratory IT systems. The successful candidate also
maintains and enhances laboratory IT systems to meet the constantly
changing needs of the laboratory and it’s clients.
Education and Experience:
1. A minimum of 3 -5 years of experience with health information
systems is preferred.
2. A bachelor’s degree in computer science and knowledge of LOINC,
SNOMED, and HL7 messaging preferred.
• Maintain a working knowledge of the broad spectrum of technology
solutions available in the industry.
• Identify information technology solutions that address the
changing needs of the state public health laboratory.
• Analyze and review laboratory workflows to identify potential
problems and opportunities for process involvement.
• Translate laboratory IT needs into understandable
• Lead RFP processes and selection of vendor(s).
• Manage project implementations.
• Communicate with and involve partner agencies throughout the
selection and implementation processes.
• Identify project deliverables and ensure testing and quality
control measures are in place and enforced.
• Manage and ensure system performance.
• Provide consulting / troubleshooting / solution identification
services to laboratory leadership and staff.
• Work with other IT managers to ensure technical solutions are
identified, implemented, and functioning.
• Conduct analysis of complex IT processes and provide integration
and messaging solutions to connect the LIS to state and, federal
• Support planning, development, and configuration of system
interfaces and integrations.
• Develop and maintain direct HL7 reporting from the public health
laboratory LIS to receiving laboratories, health care and other
submitting agencies, and federal partners including CDC and Indian
Health Services (IHS).
• Serve as the subject matter expert, point of contact, and primary
technical support resource for implementing changes to the LIS and
• Influence technology decisions in support of electronic test
ordering, data management and sharing, and result reporting.
• Maintain and enhance data quality improvement.
• Translate technical issues and develop reports that are in
language understandable by nontechnical people.
DSU only accepts applications through an on-line employment
site. To apply, visit https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu.
The employment site will allow the attachment of a cover letter,
resume and supporting references to include addresses and telephone
numbers of at least three references.
Note: This position is subject to continued
Dakota State employees receive a comprehensive and flexible
benefits package including paid time off, health and retirement
benefits, and life and disability insurance options. Other benefits
include reduced tuition, longevity pay and training opportunities.
DSU also provides professional liability coverage.
DSU is committed to recruitment, hiring, and retention of
Applicants with disabilities are invited to identify any
necessary accommodations required in the application process.