Steamfitter/ Boiler Mechanic
Mechanical Services and Central Heating
Duration of Position:
Full year / Full time
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly
selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar
is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the
values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment
of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a
pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar
College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and
applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members
of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.Note: Vassar
College has a universal vaccination policy requiring a COVID-19
vaccination for all employees except for those exempt for medical
or religious reasons.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Steamfitter/ Boiler Mechanic is responsible for the operation,
maintenance, and repairs of high and low pressure oil and gas fired
boilers, furnaces, controls, auxiliary equipment, and steam
distribution systems. Responsibilities:
- Operates, maintains, and repairs high and low pressure oil and
gas fired boilers, furnaces, controls.
- Examines machines and mechanical equipment to diagnose source
- Dismantles or partly dismantles steam and boiler systems and
performing repairs that mainly involve the use of hand tools.
- Install and maintain piping systems, supports, and related
- Install, replace, and repair pumps that are connected to piping
- Repair leaks on piping systems and repair and replace
thermostats and valves.
- Test and operate hydraulic and pneumatic equipment for heating
and cooling systems, as well as other mechanical systems that use
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment daily.
- Conform to all federal, state, and local regulatory agencies
with regard to codes (i.e. EPA, OSHA, ASTM, ADA, NEC, UL, ASME,
ISA, AMSI, and Vassar policies).
- Responsible for communicating and working effectively with
- Responsible for the upkeep of all tools and maintain all Vassar
owned equipment assigned to the employee.
- Maintain inventory of the materials needed for the steam and
condensate systems upkeep of the facilities.
- Adherence to established company safety policies and good
industrial and office safety practices.
- Dealing with a variety of people in a professional, courteous
manner in diversified situations.
- Ability and experience in pipefitting is required.
- Performs minor welding.
- Performs other duties as related to the shop as assigned.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Five years experience in all aspects of the maintenance and
repair of steam and condensate distribution systems, boilers,
furnaces, and auxiliary systems and controls. Education and
training may be substituted for experience.
- The ability to operate all related test equipment, specialized
tools and to read control prints to perform necessary repair
- Must be able to move, position, place and transport objects up
to and including 75 pounds.
- Must be able to perform repeated bending, squatting, stooping,
pushing, and pulling.
- Must be able to stand and walk for a prolonged period of
- Must be able to ascend and descend ladders and
- Attendance and performance will be considered.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, including
understanding, speaking, reading and writing is required.
- Must possess good communication skills for a service team
- Willingness to work overtime as available. Overtime is assigned
according to seniority guidelines.
To apply you will be required to complete the Vassar College
Employment Application, including your complete work history and
contact information for 3 supervisor references (please: no
relatives, friends or co-workers). You will have the option of
attaching a cover letter, resume, and additional reference contact
information. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Inquiries may be directed to the Human Resources Office at (845)
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/2119.