Campus Dining - Gordon Commons
Duration of Position:
Academic year / Full time
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly
selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar
is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the
values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment
of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a
pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar
College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and
applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members
of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Operations Assistant is responsible for all aspects of food
service events handled by Gordon Commons, including data entry,
food preparation, delivery, execution, set-up, clean-up and
follow-up. Must be able to drive the catering vehicle. Assists with
other tasks such as inventory of catering equipment. As a lead
worker in Gordon Commons catering service, provides work direction
to other employees in areas of responsibility. Performs related
duties as assigned. Will carry out Kitchen Worker tasks when not
doing catering work. Schedule: Varied This position will have a
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Prior food service special events catering experience
- Requires experience in food preparation, including but not
limited to sandwich and salad making, and experience in food
presentation for catered events.
- Must have demonstrated ability to deal pleasantly with the
public and college community.
- Must have excellent organizational skills, interpersonal
skills, and the ability to work independently. Requires the ability
to perform basic mathematical calculations accurately, reconcile
receipts, and to operate a POS device as needed.
- Requires basic computer skills including word processing,
responding to and preparing e-mails, and data entry.
- Must be able to complete a variety of duties with attention to
detail in a fast-paced, busy environment.
- Ability to move, place and position objects weighing up to and
including 50 pounds.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license. Must
complete a Defensive Driving Program.
- Must have the ability to work independently in fulfilling
- Requires ability to communicate effectively in English,
including understanding, speaking, reading and writing is
- Willingness to work overtime, as needed. Overtime is assigned
according to seniority guidelines.
To apply you will be required to complete the Vassar College
Employment Application, including your complete work history and
contact information for 3 supervisor references (please: no
relatives, friends or co-workers). You will have the option of
attaching a cover letter, resume, and additional reference contact
information. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Inquiries may be directed to the Human Resources Office at (845)
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1996.