Assistant Professor/Extension Specialist - Public Health
Assistant Professor/Extension Specialist - Public Health
Job Description Summary
POSITION : Auburn University seeks a 12-month tenure-track extension specialist (95% Extension and 5% Service) at the Assistant Professor level to provide leadership in human nutrition and public health. This position is housed in the Department of Nutrition, Dietetics, and Hospitality Management and is designed to assist the College of Human Sciences and the Alabama Cooperative Extension System ( ACES ) in overcoming health and wellness concerns across the state. The position will provide leadership in the development, delivery, evaluation, and reporting of evidence-based programs and applied research. Earliest start date for this position is August 2021 and will remain open until a suitable candidate is identified. The position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
(1) Alabama Cooperative Extension Service ( ACES ): The selected applicant will provide strategic and inclusive leadership to the Nutrition, Diet and Health ( NDH ) priority program team of the Alabama Extension. Responsibilities include:
A) provide statewide leadership in the areas of human nutrition and public health; B) develop and deliver educational programs (initiatives, presentations, website information, and supporting materials) grounded in research-based sciences to improve the nutritional and health levels of different social classes and ages; C) collaborate with, support, and train Extension educators across the state to implement, evaluate, and report program impacts; D) initiate evidence-based Extension and applied research projects that engage and involve client groups, stakeholders, and entire communities to improve their quality of life; and E) participate in and assist program teams in the development of annual plans of work and federal reporting.
(2) Design and undertake evidence-based Extension and applied research projects that engage and involve client groups, stakeholders, and whole communities to improve their quality of life.
(3) Establish and maintain a strong, extramurally funded Extension and applied research program.
(4) Disseminate programming and research scholarship through journals and conference presentations and seek recognition of excellence in programming.
(5) Collaborate with Human Sciences faculty on interdisciplinary community programming.
(6) Engage Human Sciences students in development and delivery of educational tools and programs.
(7) Provide service within professional organizations and on committees within the Department, College, ACES, and University.
SETTING : The Department of Nutrition, Dietetics and Hospitality Management employs 15-full-time tenure-track faculty and is affiliated with the College of Human Sciences. Opportunities to engage in collaborative research are supported by the Alabama Cooperative Extension System ( ACES ). East Alabama Medical Center ( EAMC ), Harrison School of Pharmacy ( HSOP ) and Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine ( VCOM ) provide additional opportunities for translational research. More information about the department can be found at http://www.humsci.auburn.edu/ndhm/ . Alabama Cooperative Extension System operates in all 67 counties as the primary outreach organization for the land-grant functions of Alabama A&M and Auburn University. Auburn University has a multicultural student enrollment of over 30,000. The University provides instruction in approximately 60 academic departments and maintains graduate research and public service programs. Auburn is a one-hour drive from Montgomery, Alabama, 1.5 hours from Atlanta, Georgia airport and about four hours to Gulf Coast beaches. To learn more about Auburn University, visit http://www.auburn.edu/academic/provost/facultyjobs/ . Auburn University is understanding of and sensitive to the family needs of faculty, including dual-career couples.
Earned doctorate from an accredited institution in nutrition, public health, health education/promotion, health behavior, or closely related discipline required at the time employment begins. Demonstrated experience in program development, delivery, and evaluation. The successful candidate must meet eligibility requirements to work in the United States at the time the appointment is scheduled to begin and continue working legally for the proposed term of employment; excellent communication skills required.
Registered Dietitian (RD) credential or RD eligible; three years of public health, health education or community nutrition-related work experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Apply online using the link: https://www.auemployment.com/postings/23561 . Provide application letter, complete CV, transcripts from all universities attended, narrative of community/Extension nutrition/health experience, research and educational interests, Statement of Philosophy on Extension scholarship in the 21st Century, and three (3) professional references (names, addresses, and phone numbers). Only complete online applications will be considered for review beginning July 6, 2021. For more information about the position: Ramesh Jeganathan (email@example.com) Chair- Search Committee.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER . It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Open Until Filled
References required for this position?
If yes, minimum number requested
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Public Job Posting (auemployment.com site)
- Academic Conference
- Agency Referral
- Internal Job Posting
- Personal Referral
- Veterans Assistance Services (Veteran Job Boards, Military Base Services, State Vet Rep, etc.)
- Disability Assistance Services (Disability Job Boards, ABLE Network, Voc-Rehab referral, etc.)
- * Please enter the specifics of the option you selected
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Extension/Outreach Philosophy
- Other Documentation