Administrative Assistant- K (College Store)
Administrative Assistant- K (College Store)
Department: College Store
Duration of Position: Full year / Part time
Work Schedule: 20 hours/week. Work Schedule Varies: Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 pm or 2:00 p.m. until 7:00 pm when college is in session, 1:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. when college is not in session. Rotation of Saturday hours of 10:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Employee Type: Staff
Posting Date: 06/15/2021
Union Representation: CWA
Posting Number: AS088P
Pay Rate: $15.00/hour
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is strongly committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, inclusion and respect for difference. Vassar College is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Vassar College is seeking a retail associate (Administrative Assistant) to work in our college owned and operated store. The Administrative Assistant provides excellent customer service and assists in the sales of general merchandise and textbooks. This position assists customer with purchases, operates a cash and credit card point of sale device, and is responsible for ensuring merchandise is properly displayed. The Administrative Assistant interacts regularly with students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- Operate a point of sale device efficiently ensuring that all
functions are performed in a timely and accurate manner. Transact
sales at the cash register including cash, credit card, P-card, and
- Properly receive and price merchandise within established
- Monitor inventory levels of various store products and stock
merchandise in an orderly and timely manner, enabling the
availability of products to customers.
- Greet and assist customers; respond to customer inquiries and
provide general information concerning store product information
- Receive merchandise and ship online orders.
- Maintain all operations in the textbook area related to
receiving, shelving, fulfilling textbook reservations, and
returning textbooks. Assist with pricing textbooks.
- Creates and manages purchase orders for the ordering and
returning of textbooks for each Semester.
- Develops and maintains inter departmental
- Timely processing and payment of all invoices and assures all
credits due are received and posted.
- Assist with the used textbook buyback program as
- Reconciliation of daily sales, enters sales data from the Web
and physical store into spreadsheets for end of month balancing and
posting to general ledger through Journal entry.
- Maintain and enter daily drawer and cash counts.
- Maintain store environment in a clean and orderly condition;
assist in organizing displays in the store and merchandising
- Under general supervision, resolve most questions; accomplish
most tasks alone; keep the manager well informed of progress; some
interpretation of established work procedures is
- Adapt to improvements or changes in existing service, product
- Operate a variety of office equipment as needed.
- Assist in ordering, receiving, and maintaining inventory of
bookstore products. Assist in annual physical inventory.
- Accept and process special orders from customers.
- Supervise student employees for restocking of merchandise and
- Acts as Ambassador for Vassar College by providing college
information to the campus community and visitors.
- Ensure safety standards are maintained while performing daily
- Perform various additional related tasks as assigned by the College Store Director.
This position is part-time, 20 hours/week for the full year, and is eligible for college staff benefits.
Work Schedule Varies: Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 pm or 2:00 p.m. until 7:00 pm when college is in session, 1:00 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. when college is not in session. Rotation of Saturday hours of 10:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., holiday and special events.
- A minimum of two to four year’s previous administrative support
experience and/or training;
- Retail experience including use of point of sale devices, and
book keeping and/or accounting support required.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with both Mac and
PC platform environments, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Google’s
suite of tools (gmail, calendar, drive, docs, etc.), Workday (or
comparable database systems), and a variety of email and internet
browsers. Must be open to learning new software as
- Ability to greet people courteously and interact effectively
with a diverse community of students, faculty, employees and
- Demonstrated ability to: effectively manage deadlines and
multiple competing priorities while maintaining attention to detail
and exercising good judgment; exercise discretion and maintain
confidentiality; and maintain a professional problem solving
demeanor during sometimes stressful situations.
- Must have excellent customer service skills, perform work with
accuracy, and be able to work efficiently and effectively under
demanding conditions, such as special events and back-to-school
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time. Ability to position self to clean, organize and stock inventory. Ability to move, ascend/descend and traverse to complete required tasks. Ability to move, position, place and transport objects weighing up to and including 50 pounds.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1970.