University Code 35221 University Title Student Services Specialist 1 University Job Family Student Services ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Multi Title Scope of Search Regional Working Title Learning Specialist Position Number 584050 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Academic Support Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Student Success is at the core of VCU’s new strategic plan – Quest 2025: Together We Transform. To ensure each VCU student finds success on their individualized path, it is imperative that we establish a campus environment that eliminates artificial barriers to degree progression/graduation, nurtures student engagement both with faculty and our community, develops cultural competency in our graduates, and creates opportunities to experiment and develop tangible and intangible skills related to their future career goals.
The Learning Specialist will provide structured academic support for undergraduate students in all disciplines at the university. The specialist will specifically work with students to improve study skills, learning strategies and time management. The learning specialist will provide academic coaching to undergraduate students. We welcome individuals with diverse experiences and backgrounds who will contribute to an already diverse community of faculty, staff and students.
The primary responsibilities and duties of the Learning Specialist include:
1. Meeting individually with students.
a. Assisting with time management
b. Study strategies
c. Appropriate referrals
d. Goal setting
e. Learning outcomes
2. Assisting with the development of CLC (Campus Learning Center) programming.
3. Assisting with CLC student staff training where appropriate
4. Developing materials to share with students and departments.
5. Create and present customized workshops for students, staff and faculty
6. Maintaining student visit records.
7. Actively following up with students to promote retention.
8. Performing other duties as required to promote the Campus Learning Center.
9. Teach assigned Student Success courses.
10. Assisting in other areas of Student Success as needed.
*Some work assignments and/or event participation may require weekend and/or evening hours.
Minimum Hiring Standards
-An advanced degree, or education and relevant work experience equating to an advanced degree.
-Experience working with undergraduate students.
-Demonstrated ability to motivate students toward academic achievement.
-Experience in a culturally diverse university environment with students of varying academic ability level.
-Excellent written, interpersonal, and oral communication skills.
-Ability to teach courses.
-Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment, or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards
-Experience working in a college or university learning center or other related support activity.
-Previous experience with academic coaching.
-Previous experience working with students on time management, goals and/or study strategies.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range up to $43,000 Application Process/Additional Information Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Mon - Fri, 8a - 5p Job Open Date 06/21/2021 Posting will close on or before 07/05/2021 Open Until Filled No Job Category Accounting/ Management/ Professional Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/107073 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * 5. Do you have a Masters Degree?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Distance Education Programs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond