Clinical Educator/Associate Program Director
Dell Medical School
Apr 19, 2021
Open until filled
The Dell Medical School at The University of Texas at Austin is
seeking an exceptional physician to join the Department of Internal
Medicine as an outpatient-focused clinician- educator in
collaboration with CommUnityCare, a Federally Qualified Health
Center (FQHC) and main teaching site for our Internal Medicine
Dell Medical School's mission is to revolutionize how people get
and stay healthy by:
- Educating leaders who transform health care;
- Evolving new models of person-centered, multidisciplinary care
that reward value;
- Advancing innovation from discovery to outcomes;
- Improving health in our community as a model for the nation;
- Redesigning the academic health environment to better serve
While medical education has been part of the clinical landscape of
Austin Texas since the mid-1970s, the Dell Medical School enrolled
its first class of 50 undergraduate medical students in June of
2016. As part of The University of Texas at Austin, one of the
nation's leading research universities, the Dell Medical School
will pursue innovation in the re-design of healthcare delivery,
excellence in healthcare research, and programs in
interdisciplinary and inter-professional education.
Dell Medical School (DMS) is the first medical school established
in nearly five decades by a member of the Association of American
Universities, an organization of leading public and private
research universities. An extraordinary commitment of resources,
both public and private, has already been made to enable its
development and success. DMS is partnering closely with the
community and regional healthcare providers and payers to provide
new models for health promotion, healthcare delivery, and clinical
care for the community's underserved population. DMS has developed
an innovative curriculum that includes a two-year longitudinal
primary care experience, and a 9-month opportunity for a
concentrated project in population health and/or care
The Internal Medicine residency has been in existence since 1974.
We are a fully ACGME accredited residency sponsored by the
University of Texas at Austin Dell Medical School. Resident
continuity clinics were previously in city sponsored FQHC clinics
for decades. The residents fulfill their ambulatory curriculum at
Southeast Health and Wellness Clinic (SEHWC), a Central Health and
CommUnityCare Clinic and the Outpatient VA Clinic. We are hopeful
that this primary care experience will inspire a career in Primary
Care for a substantial proportion of our residents.
The SEHWC is a result of a collaborative effort involving the
Southeast Austin community, Central Health, and CommUnityCare. The
site offers a full range of healthcare services, including dental
care, family medicine, internal medicine, specialty care,
behavioral health, radiology, and an on-site pharmacy. Additional
community resources are available including meeting rooms, exercise
spaces, and a demonstration kitchen.
Development of a strong primary care presence for care delivery,
education, and research is essential for meeting the goals of Dell
Medical School. This position will include direct patient care for
a vulnerable patient population; precepting of residents in their
continuity clinic work; teaching of medical students during their
longitudinal care experience; mentoring of trainees' projects in
population health and care transformation; and leading residency
program administration. Importantly, this position will serve as a
liaison between CommUnityCare and UT Dell Med in the ambulatory
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Resident Ambulatory Care & Education
General Program Administration
- Ensure quality and safety of resident's clinic care including
in-person, telephone, and inter-visit care like timely response to
patient calls, results, refills
- Monitor and optimize continuity from both patient and clinician
- Coordinate program response to outpatient safety events brought
to program from sites' quality and safety review processes
- Oversee program quality improvement projects in outpatient
- Coordinate ambulatory didactic curriculum including academic
half day, pre-clinic conference, team huddles along with chief
residents and Primary Care Track Program Director
- Ensure completion of mini-CEX and resident and faculty
evaluations in ambulatory settings
- Lead preceptor meetings to update and optimize preceptors role
in clinical care and education
- Build resident and staff teamwork
- Oversee intern ambulatory block curriculum and schedule along
with chief residents
- Oversee subspecialty clinic experience
- Collaborate with the VA Outpatient Site Director to ensure
ambulatory settings have equivalent training experiences
- Provider mentorship to the Ambulatory Resident Chiefs & IM
residency site director
- Plan and participate in program retreats and participate in the
annual program reviews
- Remediation of resident issues as needed
- Participate in planning and implementing resident wellness
activities and in resident entertainment
- Working with the PD and peer-APDs, ensure compliance with
grievance and due process procedures as set forth in the
- Be familiar, comply and implement ACGME and Review Committee
policies and procedures.
- Assist with recruiting and orienting new residents
- Engage local, regional, national IM education communities
through participation in AAIM, ACGME, ACP, and/or SGIM
- Collaborate closely with the CommUnityCare leadership team to
ensure coordination of logistical details that may impact
educational experiences. This may include items such as review of
appropriate quality metrics, participation in meetings, as well as
ensuring ongoing communication.
Our patients come from all walks of life and so do we. At Dell
Medical School, we are committed to promoting the diversity of our
physician workforce, and we seek candidates with a commitment to
advancing equitable and inclusive care for our patients and
- MD or DO degree with Board Certification (or Board Eligibility
if within 2 years of residency) in Internal Medicine
- Unrestricted licensed to practice medicine in the State of
- Eligible for faculty appointment with the University of Texas
- Strong clinical teaching skills.
- Training and experience in quality improvement
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Fellowship training or chief residency with a focus in quality
improvement, health services research, or educational
- Spanish language fluency.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal
opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all
applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and
affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of
equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the
basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability,
religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and
activities, and admissions.
To apply, visit https://faculty.utexas.edu/career/73232
- Well-documented speaking, teaching, and writing skills.
- Ability to communicate with others in a clear, understandable
and professional manner in person and on the phone.
- Experience in precepting Internal Medicine Residents in a
primary care setting.
- Effective professional management skills, including the ability
to plan, organize and schedule work in an efficient and productive
manner, focusing on key priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to interact with peers, executives, employees, and
consultants in a manner that represents the Dell Medical School
- Ability to build and lead high-performing teams; must be able
to provide clear and accurate direction and guidance.
- Sound judgment in decision-making.
- Ability to learn and apply new information, knowledge and
experiences in a timely manner.
- Flexibility and adaptability to change.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks and projects and to
- Plan, promote, demonstrate, recommend and coordinate high
standards of medical practice.
- Perform other duties as assigned.