Administrative Assistant - K
Duration of Position:
Academic year / Full time
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly
selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar
is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the
values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment
of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a
pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar
College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and
applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members
of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
The Administrative Assistant provides administrative and
operational support to the Department of Art. The Administrative
Assistant assists the department chair, faculty, staff, students,
and visitors with administrative functions.
- Report to and work closely with the department chair on all
subjects including annual reports, staffing plans, course masters,
and professional correspondence.
- Serve as a primary contact for students and visitors, answer
the department phone, respond to email queries, meet the needs of
students and visitors as they come into the office. etc.
- Assist faculty with preparation of course and professional
- Maintain the shared department calendar for semester deadlines,
meetings, events. This includes room reservations.
- Supervise the student office intern and placement of student
- Coordinate with the Registrar office regarding class schedules,
enrollments, student records, curricular changes, etc.
- Maintain and reconcile department budgets, endowment funds.
Assist with annual allocations requests.
- Organize paperwork for faculty & staff
- Place and track orders as requested by faculty and staff.
Maintain inventory for office and other department
- Assist in the purchase and renewal of annual service contracts
- Distribute department mail to faculty and staff
- Report building problems to Facilities Operations, and maintain
log of ongoing and completed building repairs.
- Organize and maintain all department records. This includes
confidential personnel files and letters, and faculty assessment
- Provide travel arrangements, accommodations, interview and meal
schedules for department job candidates. This includes assisting
faculty with professional travel arrangements and guest speaker
- Update department website as needed.
- Participate actively in departmental special events, which
includes organizing events, catering, student orientation
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- A minimum of two to four years administrative support
experience and/or training.
- Ability to interact effectively with a diverse community of
students, faculty, staff and visitors.
- Ability to effectively manage deadlines and multiple competing
priorities while maintaining attention to detail and exercising
- Strong organizational and time management skills are
- Must exercise discretion and maintain
- Maintain a professional problem-solving demeanor during
sometimes stressful situations.
- Ability to work independently and with other departments on
campus including Accounts Payable, Registrar, Purchasing, Student
Employment, Human Resources, Building & Grounds and Campus
- Strong computer skills are required including proficiency with
both Mac and PC platform environments, Microsoft Word, Microsoft
Excel, Google’s suite of tools (gmail, calendar, drive, docs,
etc.), Workday (or comparable database systems), and a variety of
email and internet browsers. Must be open to learning new software
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and telephone
manner are essential.
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to
attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3
professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format.
Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any
questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1955.