Associate Dean of the College for Campus Activities
Associate Dean of the College for Campus Activities
Department: Campus Activities Office
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Employee Type: Administrator
Posting Date: 03/16/2021
Union Representation: Not Applicable
Posting Number: AS049P
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Dean of the College, the Associate Dean of the College for Campus Activities is responsible for the oversight and management of the Offices of Campus Activities, Student Activities, Summer Programs and Conferences and the Powerhouse Theater. The Associate Dean also oversees and manages the Shiva Theater program, the Palmer Gallery and the Baldeck Photo Lab. Experience with the oversight and management of Campus Dining is strongly preferred. The Associate Dean provides leadership, advisement and support for student engagement and programs, which facilitate the social, personal and intellectual growth and development of students as aligned with the college mission statement. The Associate Dean is responsible for the programmatic, managerial, financial and operational environment of these areas to align with college priorities and goals, and ensure student needs are met. The Associate Dean fosters and maintains a positive workplace environment and develops effective, meaningful and working relationships with colleagues across campus and members of the local community.
- Provides oversight and advisement for all campus activities and
plans, directs and executes major, large-scale programs and campus
wide events such as convocation and commencement
- Manages departmental operating and endowment budgets and
expenditures, and performs analysis and reporting to the Dean of
- Oversee student programs and coordinate evaluation of student
expectations and outcomes, and serve as an advocate for students'
- Advise senior class executive board in planning and executing
senior year events and programs including senior week.
- Oversight of contracted campus dining for students, faculty,
staff, guests and summer programs ensuring for well-planned and
well-organized dining operation and reviews financials to ensure
food service operates within mutually approved program goals and
budgets is strongly preferred.
- Oversee, plan and manage college summer programs and the dining
program schedule as aligned with expectations of program directors
and facility operations renewal plans. Coordination of college
resources and services to support summer programs.
- Oversee and manage the annual summer New York Stage and Film
and Vassar College Powerhouse Theater program including main stage
performances, readings and the apprentice program.
- Plan Families Weekend with CAO Assistant Director in
collaboration with campus colleagues.
- Manager and advisor of the Shiva Theater program and endowment
and supervisor of student staff.
- As Director of the Palmer Gallery, plan shows and programs with
regional artists and community activists and collaborate with
college faculty to plan exhibitions as aligned with
- Manage Krieger endowment and plan annual lecture
- Participate in campus and community initiatives and represent
college on committees related to summer programs, dining, campus
activities and student success.
- Supervise Campus Activities administrators and staff (Four CAO
FT administrators and one FT CWA staff). Execute performance
management reviews for staff and provide professional development
- Collaborate with the Dean of the College and senior team on implementing policy and strategy efforts.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field required.
- 10-15 years experience in higher education in the division of
student affairs showing progressive growth in
- Experience with the oversight and management of Campus Dining
is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically to address emerging
trends and issues in higher education.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills,
and must demonstrate effective leadership.
- Demonstrated effectiveness as a student-centered
- Ability to provide direction for large and complex programs and
- Effective staff supervision, team building, and
- Excellent communication and the ability to interact with a
broad range of individuals internally and externally.
- Strong analytical, decision making and problem-solving
- A demonstrated commitment to working collaboratively with
colleagues across the institution to achieve institutional
priorities is required.
- The ideal candidate will possess a commitment to the mission and values of a liberal arts institution.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1822.