Senior Director of Core Facilities
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world‐class faculty in modern well‐equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross‐disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields,but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences,Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best brains in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
OIST has developed world-class core research facilities, comprising animal resources, environmental research and data support, engineering, imaging, instrument analysis, a marine station, scientific computing, and sequencing. We now seek a senior leader for these core facilities, with the vision and skill to further develop their capability. “Director of Core Facilities” reports to the Provost and works closely with faculty and Core Facility Section Leaders (section leaders).Responsibilities
- Work with the section leaders to further develop world class research core facilities.
- Manage the administrative processes of Core Facilities’ such as budget request, coordinate requests for new equipment and staff.
- Ensure fair access to facilities, optimized investment, effective use, and develop long-term equipment renewal plans in collaboration with faculty and section leaders.
- Cooperate with HR to provide training opportunities to facility staff and develop staff career path for sustainable operation of the core facilities.
- Seek to enhance external networks such as mutual use of core facilities and participating in core technologies networks in Japan and internationally.
- Apply for grants to further enhance facilities in collaboration with section leaders.
- Implementation and management of a campus wide equipment reservation and management system.
- Study and implement appropriate internal cost charging model.
- Organize fee-for-use services to external users/companies in collaboration with section leaders
- Present the core facilities at external events and create significant digital resources such as webpages to attract collaborators and users.
- Manage assignment of core facility administrators to maintain smooth operation of the core facilities in collaboration with section leaders
- Develop, implement and manage relevant rules, procedures, system and staff to achieve above items, and to standardize the service flow throughout the core facilities.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Provost
- Specific technical expertise in relevant technologies, with at least 10 years of experience managing a group of facilities
- Significant technical track record, with PhD or equivalent qualification
- Leadership experience in diverse and multicultural settings
- Highly flexible and innovative
- Sense of fairness, compliance and teamwork
- Excellent communication skill in English and ability to solve problems. Ability to communicate in Japanese is desired, but not required
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Japan
- Academic Affairs Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Japan
- Research Administration Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Japan
- Executive Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Japan
- Provosts Administrative Commensurate with Experience Full Time jobs in Japan