Laboratory Manager and Technician (Chemistry)
Laboratory Manager and Technician (Chemistry)
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: 2015-1602888
Location: CA 94556, CA
Department: Dean, Science
Closing: 7/16/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Founded in 1863, Saint Mary's is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary's currently enrolls more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College.
As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary's offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary's reputation for excellence, innovation, and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning, and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
Reporting to the Dean of the School of Science, receiving direction from the Chair of the Department of Chemistry, and working collaboratively with faculty, the Laboratory Manager and Technician is responsible for: purchasing, managing, and maintaining an inventory of chemical stores and materials; preparing reagents for undergraduate laboratories; managing hazardous waste collection and removal; setting up and maintaining equipment and instrumentation for class and research purposes; ensuring lab spaces are safe, stocked, and clean; validating methods and protocols for various experiments as requested by faculty; hiring and supervising student employees.
1. Chemistry lab preparation: Prepare lab reagents, solutions, mixtures, unknowns; standardize reagents; track and control chemicals, gas cylinders, and other materials; transfer materials to the laboratories for use; clean labs and organize lab materials; plan and stock for full range of undergraduate laboratory experiments, including preparatory sheets.
2. Instrumentation and computers: Assist faculty to maintain and manage instrumentation and lab computers; develop and test methods for the use of instrumentation; assist with preparation of training materials; coordinate with ITS to address computer network and security issues, memory upgrades, software and hardware issues, and problems arising with updates; coordinate with service providers for repairs and maintenance; and carry out weekly NMR liquid nitrogen fills. Instrumentation includes: NMR, IR, UV/Vis, GC, GC/MS, LC/MS, HPLC, AES, XRF, DSC, ITC, and others.
3. Safety: Maintain chemical inventory database for Brousseau Hall; collaborate with the office of Environmental Health and Safety to ensure that procedures and practices in the SOS chemical hygiene plan are followed; inspect laboratories and stockroom to maintain a safe working and teaching environment.
4. Manage chemical and equipment supplies: order chemicals, solvents, gases, lab equipment, and lab glassware; manage glassware in student lab drawers each semester; manage safe and organized storage of chemicals, glassware, and equipment in stockroom and laboratories.
5. Building: monitor proper functioning of building equipment, such as lights, ventilation, heating/cooling; contact and coordinate with Facilities Services for completion of work orders; serve as the building coordinator including emergency preparedness.
6. Hire, train, and supervise student workers to prepare materials and to set up, clean, and take down laboratories.
Experience and Qualifications
Education: REQUIRED: Bachelors of Science in Chemistry PREFERRED: Masters
Skills/Abilities: UV-Vis, FT-IR, NMR, GC, MS, HPLC; MS Office; wet chemistry and solution preparation.
Licenses & Certifications: REQUIRED: PREFERRED: Haz waste gen
Other Requirements: (e.g. travel, weekend/evening work) May need lab support till 7:00pm, 1 day per week.
Application Instructions: Please apply online at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu
Include a cover letter that specifically addresses how you meet the qualifications and are prepared to support the mission of the College
- A resume
- The name and contact information for three (3) professional references.
- In applying for a position, candidates sign a consent authorizing a broader inquiry which may include reference checks, a motor vehicle check, and a third party background check.
College policy prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, gender stereotyping, and gender identity, taking a protected leave (e.g. family medical or pregnancy leave), or on any other basis protected by applicable laws.
Saint Mary's College annually collects information about campus crimes and other reportable incidents in accordance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. To view the Saint Mary's College Report, please go to the Public Safety website at http://www.stmarys-ca.edu/public-safety/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report-0. To request a paper copy please call Public Safety at (925) 631-4284. The report includes the type of crime, venue, and number of occurrences.
Please apply online at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/stmarys