Senior Project Manager
Senior Project Manager
Job No: 496741
Position Type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
The Senior Project Manager reports to the Director of Planning, Design & Construction and will assume responsibility for the timely completion of high quality, very complex new construction and renovation work within the allocated budget and schedule constraints. The Senior Project Manager will manage multiple projects concurrently ranging in size from $100,000 upward. This position is also expected to provide mentorship and assist the Director in training more junior staff. Moreover, they will exhibit strong leadership, planning and problem-solving skills and serve as a resource for guiding other staff members whether on an ad hoc or more formal basis.
● Work with clients and other internal/external sources to determine scope of work and scheduling restrictions. Develop plans integrated with existing University Master Plan, goals, and objectives for a multitude of projects throughout campus.
● Oversee internal or external consultants preparing studies or designs for a wide variety of projects. Continually update campus-wide standard specifications and write specifications tailored to individual projects. Develop master files for design standards and specifications as well as construction specifications. Ensure all designs are consistent with the University standards.
● Prepare reports, specifications, and contract documents for projects sent out for competitive bidding. Analyze bids and make contract award recommendation to leadership. Write contracts and purchase orders for construction services, material, and equipment. Write change orders to contracts and purchase orders as required. Prepare project financial forecasts and status reports. Set up and maintain the construction files.
● Continually monitor costs to ensure projects are completed within budget. Maintain accurate cost accounting records, accept deliverables, and authorize payments within authorized limits. Take action as required to stay within authorized funding.
● Compile detailed estimates for materials, equipment, and personnel necessary to properly complete the project including life cycle cost analysis are completed. Compare cost estimates with budget to ensure projects are completed within funding allocations.
● Review shop drawings and submittals, inspect progress of work for quality and timely execution. Interface with code administration officials to obtain the necessary permits. Ensure conformance with University and regulatory codes and standards. Ensure an accurate punch list is prepared and building systems are properly commissioned and turned over to the University. Obtain certificates of occupancy. Coordinate warranty work as required.
● Schedule and conduct meetings as necessary. Communicate results and informs pertinent parties on construction progress. Write detailed meeting memoranda as necessary.
● Ensure detailed project schedules are created and distributed using project scheduling and spreadsheet software. Track material, equipment, other deliveries, and their subsequent installation. Take action to ensure the project schedule is met. If required, coordinate with the Contractor, leadership, and the customer to adjust scope/actions to meet the required schedule and budget.
● Prepare detailed and summary project reports and presentations as required. Lead meetings with and make presentations to University Leadership, the Bucknell community, and external groups such as Borough Officials or external media groups as required.
● Work with the Director to mentor and train more junior project managers. Assist the Director in developing and implementing policies. Recommend organization or process changes that might improve project delivery.
● Review and ensure compliance with contractor safety plans and worksite safety.
● Coordinate with the Director and EH&S to investigate and resolve safety concerns as needed.
● Support campus wide initiatives. Track and report project information pertaining to numerous initiatives including but not limited to sustainability and diversity.
● Adhere to OSHA standards, employ safe practices, and follow safety policies and procedures.
● Support and promote the University's sustainability efforts.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
● A bachelor's degree in architecture, engineering, or construction management and ten (10) years of experience as a design/construction Project Manager
● Experience successfully managing multiple, complex, institutional projects concurrently
● Excellent interpersonal skills in order to work with clients, architects and contractors in a variety of projects from inception through completion, project closeout and warranty period
● Demonstrated ability to work independently and with minimal direct oversight
● Good organizational and writing skills along with the ability to financially track costs
● Working knowledge of computers and software (must be able to prepare spreadsheets, budgets, drawings, specifications, contracts, memoranda, and letters)
● Ability to understand the trades and contractor sequencing/phasing throughout the course of the project
● Ability to perform existing building assessments for buildings slated for renovation
● Prior experience performing project planning and phasing plans for renovation projects based on building assessments
● Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
● Advanced degrees or certificates in architecture, engineering, construction management, project management
● Professional license or certifications such as, but not limited to: PE, RA, PMP, LEED AP
● Continuing education in project management, contract law, ADA, environmental areas, building codes, sustainability and related areas
● Specific knowledge of HVAC and electrical system design, construction and maintenance
● Knowledge of project accounting, management and scheduling software
● Experienced with construction related legal documents
● Previous experience working at an institution of Higher Education
● Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 25 pounds.
● Able to move around work sites, climb ladders, scaffolds, walkways, enter/exit trenches, crawl spaces, confined areas, roofs, and elevated areas.
● Must use proper safety equipment for hearing, head, eyes, feet, hands, and safety vest.
● Daily exposure to dust, dirt, weather and temperature changes. Position requires indoor and outdoor work.
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496741/senior-project-manager