Antelope Valley College
Accounting Asst II, Temporary Short Term
Salary: $21.41 Hourly
Complete job description and application available
online at: http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=201689
Under the direction of a designated supervisor, performs a
variety of responsible accounting duties related to Associated
Student Organization (ASO) funds and accounts, budget accounts,
accounts payable, accounts receivable, assisting with payroll and
cashiering and others; receipt, post, balance and reconcile
financial transactions; assist in the preparation and processing of
financial, statistical and personnel-related documents, records and
materials. Performs other related responsibilities as may be
Accounting Assistant II incumbents are assigned responsible
clerical accounting duties requiring the exercise of a greater
amount of experience and independence in such areas as accounts
payable, accounts receivable and ASO fund, assisting with payroll
and cashiering and preparing and processing financial and
statistical documents for multiple accounting functions. Incumbents
in the Accounting Assistant III classification Performs complex
accounting clerical duties in processing District classified and
faculty payroll. Accounting Assistant I incumbents perform
repetitive tasks in support of assigned accounts and perform
clerical, data entry and basic payment processing work
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES: E =
indicates essential duties of the position
• Maintains financial and statistical records related to
assigned areas of accounting and coordinates these with other
accounting functions. (E)
• Assure payments, receipts and documentation are in accordance
with district, county, State and federal laws, regulations and
• Receives, counts, balances, and posts financial transactions
to proper accounts and ledgers; enters inventory, financial and
statistical data to proper account; adjust accounts as
• Prepares and maintains accounting records for ASO accounts,
budget accounts; post financial data and prepares reports showing
trial balances, profit and loss. (E)
• Performs a variety of accounting clerical duties related to
the processing of district accounts payable; inspect invoices for
accuracy and verify receipt of goods as ordered. (E)
• Enter purchase orders and receipt of goods into college
system; verifies accuracy of purchase orders against requisition
• Contacts vendors to discuss billing and receipt issues;
clarify issues and exchange information as needed; researches
statements received from vendors and inspect invoices received for
supporting codes and documentation. (E)
• Enters data related to issuing refunds and canceling warrants;
compile and distribute supporting data as needed.
• Performs a variety of calculations and financial and
statistical recordkeeping; verifies accuracy of financial and
numerical data and follows-up on issues of inaccuracy and
• Receives and disburses cash according to established
procedures; refund or bill students for fees due; distribute
financial aid checks; prepares bank deposits and reconciliations;
enters appropriate data into computer and posts to proper
• Performs a variety of clerical duties related to student
events and activities.
• Operates a variety of office equipment including computer,
adding machine, copier
• Provides direction and guidance to student workers.
• Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Any combination
equivalent to: graduation from high school and two years of
responsible clerical accounting experience.
• Methods, procedures and terminology used in
assigned clerical accounting duties.
• Financial and statistical record-keeping techniques.
• Advanced accounting practices and procedures.
• Modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
• Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and
• Laws, rules and regulations related to assigned
• District organization, operations, policies and
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Basic operation of standard office machines.
• Telephone techniques and etiquette.
• Operation of a computer and applicable software.
• Perform responsible and advanced clerical
• Perform clerical accounting duties in the maintenance of
• Prepare and maintain accurate financial and statistical
• Verify, balance and adjust accounts.
• Process and record accounting transactions accurately.
• Operate a computer and applicable software.
• Prepare financial statements and other technical financial
• Operate office equipment such as a calculator, typewriter and
• Plan and organize work.
• Work confidentially with discretion.
• Add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly and accurately.
• Learn, apply and explain policies, procedures, rules and
• Answer telephones and greet the public courteously.
• Perform clerical duties such as filing, typing, duplicating
and maintaining routine records.
• Type at an acceptable rate of speed.
• Understand and follow oral and written directions.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working
relationships with others.
WORK DIRECTION, LEAD AND SUPERVISORY
RESPONSIBILITIES: Provides direction and guidance to
student workers. Do not have full-time employees to
CONTACTS: Co-workers, other departmental
personnel, vendors, LACOE, vendors, agencies, students, and student
Requires the ability to exert some physical effort, such as
walking, standing and light lifting
Minimal dexterity in the use of fingers, limbs and body in the
operation of office equipment.
Tasks require extended periods of time at a keyboard.
Normal office environment.
For a complete listing and details of all open positions
and how to apply, select the HR & Employment link on the AVC
Web site at https://www.avc.edu/administration/hr/employment
or contact the Human Resources Office at (661) 722-6311;
Voice/Relay, (661) 722-6300 x. 6360, 3041 West Avenue K, Lancaster,