Moorhead Academic Coach
Moorhead Academic Coach
Department: Office for Accessibility & Educational Opportunity
Duration of Position: Academic year / Full time
Employee Type: Administrator
Posting Date: 06/18/2021
Union Representation: Not Applicable
Posting Number: AS092P
About Vassar College
Located in the scenic Mid-Hudson Valley, Vassar College is a highly selective, residential, coeducational liberal arts college. Vassar is deeply committed to fostering a community that reflects the values of a liberal arts education and to promoting an environment of equality, diversity and inclusiveness. Vassar seeks to create a pluralistic community for all staff, faculty and students. Vassar College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity employer, and applications from women, individuals with disabilities and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged. Vassar College is a smoke-free, tobacco-free campus.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director for the Office for Accessibility and Educational Opportunity, the Moorhead Academic Coach will provide academic coaching and learning strategy assistance for students with diagnosed learning differences, psychological disorders, chronic health impairments, and other disability-related needs. The Moorhead Academic Coach will also help coordinate academic accommodations and services, and assist faculty in creating learning environments that are stimulating, challenging, welcoming, and accessible to all types of learners.
- Provide executive skills/academic coaching services and
learning strategy instruction for a caseload of 20-25 students
registered with the Office for Accessibility and Educational
- Communicate clearly, orally and in writing, information about
your caseload to the director to coordinate support internally and
with other campus resources;
- Develop workshops independently and collaboratively for
students on topics related to executive function, mindset,
neurodiversity, and academic skills;
- Assist in the coordination of accommodations, including
assistive technology usage, notetaker services, exam proctoring
arrangements, and/or alternative print format as needed;
- Collaborate with team members to contribute toward effective
implementation of office programs and services;
- Perform additional administrative duties as assigned.
- Advanced degree or substantial coursework in learning
disabilities, special education, or related discipline with
relevant experience and training in the field of learning
disabilities, strongly preferred;
- Three years teaching or direct professional experience working
with neurodiverse students, preferably at the post-secondary
- Proven ability to learn new software effectively, including
familiarity with text-to-speech and document conversion
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, collaboratively,
and respectfully in a complex and diverse academic
- Excellent planning and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated willingness to advance professional skills and
knowledge including Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
and related sections of the Americans with Disabilities
- Demonstrated understanding and application of current research, best practices, and educational trends in providing student-centered support.
Special Instructions to Applicants
To complete your on-line application, you will be required to attach your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. All attachments must be in PDF format. Review of applications will begin immediately. If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources, 845-437-5820.
For full consideration applicants should apply by:
All applicants must apply online at: https://employment.vassar.edu/postings/1977.