Vice President of Business Services & Finance/CFO
The Vice President of Business Services and Finance and Chief Financial Oﬃcer for the College of Lake County (CLC) is the executive responsible for leading the business and operational functions of the College including ﬁnance, budgeting, risk-management, internal audit, facilities, procurement, auxiliary services, infrastructure/capital projects and public safety. The Vice President of Business Services and Finance is an equity-minded, visionary leader committed to the strategic use of resources to advance student access and success outcomes for CLC’s diverse student body. The Vice President of Business Services and Finance demonstrates collaborative, values-driven leadership and is responsible for creating a dynamic work environment characterized by collegiality and inclusiveness for all students, faculty, and staﬀ. The Vice President of Business Services and Finance is a strategic thought leader for the organization, reporting directly to the President, and serving on the College Leadership Team.
The Vice President of Business Services and Finance ensures sound ﬁnancial practices to maintain or improve the College’s strong ﬁscal position, strategic use of resources to support short-term needs and long-term planning, compliance with unit-related local, state, and federal regulations and laws, eﬃcient and eﬀective daily operation of multiple facilities and an equitable and inclusive work environment. The Vice President of Business Services and Finance drives continuous improvement of business processes and innovative change that eliminates barriers to student success through hiring and ongoing development of leaders and staﬀ committed to the same. Responsibilities also include developing and maintaining strategic and collaborative partnerships with local, regional, and state agencies and aligning the Business Services and Finance unit work with the college’s strategic priorities, vision and mission.
Collaborative leadership skills which cultivate internal and external partnerships that achieve excellence in student success outcomes, community engagement, and a highly engaged team-based culture are paramount in this role. The Vice President of Business Services and Finance will:
- Implement the strategic plan, develop a collaborative student-focused culture, assure ﬁscal viability of the organization, uphold policy and procedures, proactively lead talent performance and talent development, and build community relations as a collaborative partner on the College Leadership Team and within a shared governance structure.
- Provide values-driven emotionally-intelligent leadership to the Business Services and Finance unit to build a high-performance team that provides excellence in customer service through innovative, creative and collaborative practices to all units and campuses within the College, as well as the external community.
- Champion the values of excellence, purpose, integrity, compassion, unity, and inclusion as an executive leader of the College. Support student and employee success by demonstrating a commitment to equity, inclusion, and respectful interactions with persons of diverse ethnic, cultural, socio-economic, or educational backgrounds.
- Implement best-practices in recruitment, evaluation, succession planning, recognition, and retention of highly qualiﬁed leaders and staﬀ. Retain and nurture top talent in the College by ensuring meaningful professional development and learning with a particular focus on connecting individuals and their work in Business Services and Finance to student success.
- Model and expect a data-informed approach and systems-based thinking to decision-making from leaders in areas such as processes and procedures, budget analyses and support, emergency management and public safety and project management that is grounded in the College’s culture of inquiry and evidence and reﬂects equity-based practices.
- Plan, coordinate, direct and evaluate the overall function of the Business Services and Finance unit in accordance with Board of Trustees’ policies, the College’s values and strategic priorities, shared governance processes and as required by law.
- Direct the development and implementation of long-range capital and operational ﬁnancial plans to support the mission and development of the College, establish accounting procedures, coordinate the annual ﬁnancial and compliance audit, direct and coordinate major infrastructure and capital projects, direct the college investment programs, and ensure the coordination of day-to-day business operations.
- Facilitate the college’s budget development process in partnership with the College Leadership Team, oversee the preparation of ﬁnancial statements and reports to the Board of Trustees. Ensure an open, transparent, collaborative, and inclusive, budget development, reporting, and monitoring process that is aligned with the College’s strategic priorities.
- Direct and coordinate planning, ﬁnancing, contract awards and construction with the Capital Development Board and the Illinois Community College Board. Oversee all contractual matters and funding agreements for the institution in partnership with the President.
- Advise the President on ﬁscal and operational matters and make recommendations for developing and updating institutional policies. Implement Board policies upon approval.
- Serve as Treasurer to the College Board of Trustees and Treasurer and ex-oﬃcio member of the Foundation Board of Directors. Provide ﬁscal analyses and reports to the Boards on a regular and ad hoc basis. Provide monthly updates and presents regularly to the Board of Trustees and the community in public meetings.
- Provide leadership in collective bargaining, serving on the negotiations team, and upholding conﬁdentiality in negotiations and collective bargaining matters. Ensure compliance with police/public safety and facilities labor union contracts, be responsive to labor concerns, and nurture positive labor relations.
- Support College eﬀorts to seek and obtain alternative funding sources including state and federal grants, as well as corporate and foundation sponsorship.
- Develop partnerships and lead collaborative initiatives with external stakeholders to advance the economic strength of the region. Serve as a key College liaison to area taxing districts and municipalities, and various public agencies.
- Serve on external boards and committees as necessary to advance the College mission, vision and visibility in the county, state and region.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the President.
The duties listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of speciﬁc statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in business, ﬁnance, administration, management, accounting, or related ﬁeld and a minimum of seven years of successful senior organizational leadership in ﬁnancial planning and budget development and control with a public college or university in multi-campus environment. Community college leadership and experience in the role of Treasurer supporting a community college Board are highly preferred.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in business, ﬁnance, administration, management, accounting, or related ﬁeld and a minimum of ten years of successful senior organizational leadership in ﬁnancial planning and budget development and control with a public college or university in multi-campus environment. Community college leadership and experience in the role of Treasurer supporting a community college Board are highly preferred.
- Certiﬁed Public Accountant and/or Certiﬁed Public Finance Oﬃcer from the Governmental Finance Oﬃcers Association.
- Leading capital strategic initiatives (master plan) including new campus structures, signiﬁcant renovation of existing facilities and technology system infrastructure all designed to improve student access and success and strengthen community and workforce partnerships.
- Supporting a capital campaign and other funding-raising initiatives in a time of growth and expansion.
- Ability to inspire others and build a culture of engagement through high energy and skill in communicating a vision of excellence with personal strengths in ethical values and relational leadership.
- Demonstrated success in enhancing equity, diversity, and inclusion for students, staﬀ, and faculty, including diversity initiatives in hiring of faculty and fostering multicultural competence.
- Mentoring and supporting staﬀ in their professional development.
- Issuing bonds and securing other forms of public private or grant funding.
- Working within a shared governance system and a collective bargaining environment.
- Experience collaborating with units, divisions, departments outside of own direct area of responsibility speciﬁcally Community and Workforce Partnerships, Educational Aﬀairs, Student Development, Information Technology, Strategy Planning and Support and Human Resources.
- Bi-lingual Spanish.
Apply online at www.paulygroup.com and click on "Apply Now" for College of Lake County.
Attach (1) a cover letter that addresses the minimum qualiﬁcations and preferred characteristics; (2) a current resumé; and (3) reference names and contact information. Please direct all conﬁdential inquiries and nominations to the College’s search consultant.
Dr. Angela Provart
Pauly Group Inc.
3901 Wood Duck Dr. Suite E, Springfield, IL 62711
Phone: 217-241-5400; Fax: 217-241-5401
The committee will begin review of applications immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is ﬁlled, with materials submitted by Wednesday, July 7, 2021, receiving priority consideration. All applications are conﬁdential and references will not be contacted without the expressed authorization of the applicant.
College of Lake County is an Equal Opportunity Employer, dedicated to diversity, that encourages the applications of Women, People of Color, Persons with Disabilities and Veterans.