TRIO SSS Program Coordinator
Northern State University’s TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) is seeking a Program
Coordinator/Academic Advisor to provide outstanding support and services to current TRIO Scholars. TRIO SSS aims to increase college retention and graduation rates and to help participants successfully achieve their educational, personal, and career goals. The TRIO SSS program at NSU serves 165 students annually who come from economically and educationally disadvantaged backgrounds, as well as students with disabilities. Services provided to students include academic advising, tutoring, a residential peer mentoring program, career and graduate school planning, financial literacy, and service learning and leadership programming.
The TRIO SSS Programming Coordinator/Academic Advisor will be responsible for the management and development of essential academic and social programming for TRIO Scholars. The individual will also utilize a strengths-based approach to academic advising while providing TRIO Scholars with information on academic programs, creating academic action plans, assisting with course registration, and working proactively with students on academic probation.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is required. A master’s degree is strongly preferred, as is prior experience with college academic advising, counseling, or teaching, and demonstrated ability to work with students who meet SSS-eligibility criteria from a variety of backgrounds. Experience developing academic advising standards, coordinating advising processes, providing career counseling, and planning/implementing academic and social programming is a plus.
- Advise students in a variety of academic majors
- Provide students information on academic programs, create academic action plans, assist with course registration, and work proactively with students on academic probation
- Be alert and sensitive to students’ needs and situations, and provide appropriate referrals or interventions
- Administer and interpret non-cognitive assessment tools
- Plan and implement experiential learning activities for program participants
- Together with the TRIO SSS program director, coordinate orientation program for new participants
- Conduct workshops and presentations for participants
- Assist in administering the residential peer mentor program, including providing training and support to peer mentors
- Participate in all program and college related activities as requested by program director
- Analyze survey results to determine the effectiveness of programming and implement appropriate changes
- Serve on various committees or advisory councils as appointed
This is a full-time, 11-month position. Preference will be given to individuals who have succeeded in overcoming circumstances like those of the target population (low-income, first-generation, individuals with a disability).