Section 1: Identifying Information
Position Title: Media Technology Specialist, Lead
Department IT Media Services
Status: Full Time - 12 months
Supervisor: Director, Media Services
Date: July 2021
Section 2: Position Summary
The Lead Media Technology Specialist plays a broad and essential
role in the operations of Media Services. The position will serve
as the deputy to the Director, Media Services & LEDS. The
general objective of the position is to manage the installation,
modernization, and continuous maintenance of the audiovisual
infrastructure across the Skidmore campus. As such, this position
requires a high degree of competence in both audiovisual and
information technology. Additionally, this individual must possess
strong interpersonal communication, conflict management, and
technical writing skills.
Section 3: Primary Job Duties
- Technical Leadership
- Maintains a high-level understanding of the diverse
technologies supported by the department. Ensures the ongoing
professional development and mentoring of team members, including
general knowledge about the field and current practices in their
various areas of expertise.
- Keeps abreast of trends and developments in multimedia
classroom technology and equipment.
- Serves as deputy to the Director.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of networking principles as
they pertain to audiovisual equipment and presentation
- Technical Systems Management
- Responsible for the day to day Audio Visual operations of the
college including the performance of preventative maintenance,
installation of new hardware, and end-user support for multimedia
classrooms, labs, conference rooms, study spaces, and
- Helps determine and communicates the objectives, goals, and
performance expectations of the department.
- Designs and codes custom touch screen graphical user interfaces
for sophisticated AV control systems.
- Programs touch screen GUIs as well as push-button AV
controllers with a wide range of room control functions.
- Validates complex control systems in a variety of AV
environments using acquired knowledge of installation,
configuration, and commissioning principles.
- Strategic Planning
- Continuously identifies and remains aware of the College's
Media Services needs by providing end-user support, attending and
participating in meetings, managing IT projects, serving on
committees, surveying, etc. Meets with a variety of College
constituencies to improve institutional efficiency and/or quality,
and enhance the use of audio-video technology. Works with the
director to allocate resources strategically to pursue those
- Continuously researches and explores new technology and its
application (e.g., by benchmarking best-practices; reviewing blogs,
journals, and industry publications; participating in professional
organizations; attending industry-related conferences).
- Recommends audiovisual upgrades/changes when needed to build,
maintain and improve IT operations and meet constituents'
- IT Department and Skidmore Liaison
- Communicates and collaborates with various College constituents
to identify and meet their academic, pedagogical, and other IT user
needs, and to explore ways to enhance services.
- Provides constituents instruction and consultation in the
effective use of audiovisual technology (e.g., by conducting
one-on-one training or AV-sponsored workshop, orienting new faculty
to the use of AV, developing and delivering customized training to
meet specific AV user needs).
- Assesses constituents' needs and investigates technologies that
will help them achieve their goals.
- Event Support
- Interacts with and provides technical and event support for
faculty, staff, students, and guests of the college.
- Quickly adapts to the specific needs of presenters, problem
solves, and maintains composure under highly stressful and time
- Assures the proper operation of audiovisual equipment used for
- Production Services
- Maintains the technical skills necessary to process audio
and/or video content.
- Facilitates the proper conversion and/or transfer of media
between various formats.
- Assists with the printing of digital images and posters.
- Collaborates with clients and staff to determine and manage the
expected outcomes of production projects.
- Project Management
- Leads Media Services project planning sessions
- Provides guidance to the organization on Media Services
- Participates in tender process, i.e. design, submission, and
- Manages project progress and adapt work as required to ensure
that projects meet deadlines.
- Optimizes and improves processes and the overall approach where
Section 4: Judgment, Discretion, and Complexity
This position requires a high level of technical competency. It
requires an understanding of and familiarity with audiovisual
technology and the latest trends and best practices. Knowledge of
Extron systems as it applies to auditoria is desired. The ability
to analyze audiovisual problems and devise technical solutions is
required. The individual must have an aptitude for various
operating systems, media presentation equipment including hardware
and software, and popular applications used for video editing and
photo productions in the Apple and Windows environments. The person
in this position must have extensive knowledge of audiovisual and
sound systems, projection systems, videoconferencing technologies,
and video and audio recording. They must be able to apply their
extensive knowledge and experience in the design of effective
multimedia instructional facilities to assist with the renovation
of older classrooms and the implementation of new instructional
technology learning spaces.
In addition to technical expertise, this position requires strong
communication and interpersonal skills as this individual will
provide guidance for the activities of the student and staff
technicians. This position will take the lead in technical matters
that are not expressly articulated by the director. This position
has the authority to allocate resources, i.e. equipment,
technicians, etc., to implement a fix.
Section 5: Relationships and Resource Management
This position entails routine interactions with all users within
the campus community. The Media Services department works very
closely with many types of users for a variety of services. The
ability to effectively plan installations and maintenance
activities so as to minimize disruptions to classes and college
events is a must. The position will manage the technical activities
of a department that works directly with users to resolve technical
challenges. As such, dedication to maintaining customer service
both during and outside of standard business hours is required. An
extremely high level of commitment and results-orientation is
required to ensure the best outcomes and to maintain the confidence
of internal stakeholders.
Section 6: Qualifications and Competencies
Education: An Associate’s Degree in IT or a related field from a
regionally accredited institution is preferred. Certification in IT
service and with Audio Visual technology desired.
- A high degree of technical knowledge of desktop hardware and
- A high degree of technical knowledge of AV hardware and
software is required
- Knowledge of, competency in, and familiarity with Extron or
similar AV control systems is highly desired
- Experience configuring AV control systems is highly
- Experience working on IT projects and working with AV
integrators is highly desired
- Demonstrated ability to be technically innovative
- Demonstrated knowledge of the latest AV technology and
- Minimum three (3) years of experience with technology
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in Media Services related
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are
- Experience in providing excellent customer service
- Demonstrated initiative, and flexibility
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm in stressful
- Knowledge of AV industry standards and practices
- Experience with ticketing systems
- Experience with video editing and a variety of multimedia file
- Capacity to manage high-stress situations
- Ability to multi-task and manage various project elements
- Big-picture thinking and vision
Section 7: Physical Work Environment
This position can be highly physical. It requires the ability to
work in crawl spaces and lift at least 50 pounds. Walking across
campus is a regular part of this job but most work will be done
Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus
community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not
discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of
race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic
origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status,
marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status,
domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence,
or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal,
state or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable
background check result.
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS.