The University of Colorado Boulder is searching for a speechwriter and storyteller to join its Strategic Relations and Communications team. The speechwriter works to advance the understanding and appreciation of the mission, priorities, and goals of the university's chancellor and campus leadership. The speechwriter assists the Director of Executive Communications to create messaging that supports the university's senior leadership in conveying multiple types of information to diverse constituencies. This is a deadline-oriented position.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Strategic Relations and Communications facilitates an integrated approach to campus-wide marketing and communications to inspire greater CU Boulder engagement, affinity and support.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Duties and Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Electronic Communications/Newsletters
- Under deadline, work closely with colleagues on drafts, edits, and revisions of talking points and speeches for the campus chancellor and other senior leaders.
- Conduct appropriate background research to provide context for remarks.
- Draft oral, written, and visual messaging honed to a wide variety of campus constituents including donors, potential donors, alumni, students, faculty, staff and the external Boulder community.
- Communicate consistent campus-wide messaging including speeches, editorials, web content, talking points, PowerPoints and letters.
- Relate complex program goals and research advances in lay terms, storytelling anecdotes and conversational language.
- Draft, revise, and copy-edit acknowledgment and congratulatory letters, newsletters and other executive communications to students, faculty, staff, alumni, and university partners on behalf of the chancellor and campus leadership.
- Coordinate with departments and entities requesting the chancellor's presence to ensure that executive communications align with the requesting entity's needs while promoting campus priorities.
- Produce, proofread, and ensure the quality of outgoing correspondence and other materials.
- Take primary responsibility for tracking the progress of work products and ensure that internal and external deadlines are met.
- Assist in the preparation of slides and other visual materials for executive presentations.
What We Can Offer
The hiring salary range for this position is $70,000-$80,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Collaborative. Be Visionary. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution of higher education in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing, English, or related writing-intensive field.
- Three (3) years of demonstrated professional experience in speech writing, news writing, editorial writing, technical writing or news-feature writing.
- Experience working in a deadline-writing capacity and/or demonstrated experience handling multiple simultaneous writing assignments.
What You Will Need
- Ability to think and write strategically while focusing on the stated goals of the campus and its strategic imperative to create tomorrow's leaders, lead in innovation and positively impact humanity.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills will allow the candidate to successfully interact with all university constituents.
- Ability to write for both the ear and eye.
- Strong research skills with a fluency in topical news and culture related to higher education issues and trends.
- Attention to detail and the ability to exercise good judgment.
- Awareness of political and constituent sensitivity regarding higher education issues.
- Ability to learn the Chancellor’s "voice" and conform to leadership's expectations for written style and content.
- Ability to accept and apply constructive criticism.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain excellent working relationships, especially with senior leadership and internal and external partners.
- Ability to navigate a complex organization and work with multiple constituents and partners, including students, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, donors, public officials, and the broader public.
- Ability to meet deadlines and generate a significant volume of content.
- Ability to research and distill complicated university initiatives and public policy issues.
- Skilled in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Ability to generate and design basic graphics and collateral materials.
What We Would Like You To Have
- At least five (5) years of demonstrated experience in speech writing, news writing, editorial writing, technical writing, or news-feature writing.
- Experience working in higher education and/or institutions with complex organizational structures.
- Experience with developing and executing communications strategy.
- Experience writing for different audiences.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by July 7, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs .
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu