The University of Colorado Boulder is searching for a speechwriter
and storyteller to join its Strategic Relations and Communications
team. The speechwriter works to advance the understanding and
appreciation of the mission, priorities, and goals of the
university's chancellor and campus leadership. The speechwriter
assists the Director of Executive Communications to create
messaging that supports the university's senior leadership in
conveying multiple types of information to diverse constituencies.
This is a deadline-oriented position.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Strategic Relations and Communications
integrated approach to campus-wide marketing and communications to
inspire greater CU Boulder engagement, affinity and support.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Duties and Responsibilities of the position include, but are not
What We Can Offer
- Electronic Communications/Newsletters
- Under deadline, work closely with colleagues on drafts, edits,
and revisions of talking points and speeches for the campus
chancellor and other senior leaders.
- Conduct appropriate background research to provide context for
- Draft oral, written, and visual messaging honed to a wide
variety of campus constituents including donors, potential donors,
alumni, students, faculty, staff and the external Boulder
- Communicate consistent campus-wide messaging including
speeches, editorials, web content, talking points, PowerPoints and
- Relate complex program goals and research advances in lay
terms, storytelling anecdotes and conversational language.
- Draft, revise, and copy-edit acknowledgment and congratulatory
letters, newsletters and other executive communications to
students, faculty, staff, alumni, and university partners on behalf
of the chancellor and campus leadership.
- Coordinate with departments and entities requesting the
chancellor's presence to ensure that executive communications align
with the requesting entity's needs while promoting campus
- Produce, proofread, and ensure the quality of outgoing
correspondence and other materials.
- Take primary responsibility for tracking the progress of work
products and ensure that internal and external deadlines are
- Assist in the preparation of slides and other visual materials
for executive presentations.
The hiring salary range for this position is $70,000-$80,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be Collaborative. Be Visionary. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution of higher
education in journalism, communications, public relations,
marketing, English, or related writing-intensive field.
- Three (3) years of demonstrated professional experience in
speech writing, news writing, editorial writing, technical writing
or news-feature writing.
- Experience working in a deadline-writing capacity and/or
demonstrated experience handling multiple simultaneous writing
What We Would Like You To Have
- Ability to think and write strategically while focusing on the
stated goals of the campus and its strategic imperative to create
tomorrow's leaders, lead in innovation and positively impact
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills will allow
the candidate to successfully interact with all university
- Ability to write for both the ear and eye.
- Strong research skills with a fluency in topical news and
culture related to higher education issues and trends.
- Attention to detail and the ability to exercise good
- Awareness of political and constituent sensitivity regarding
higher education issues.
- Ability to learn the Chancellor’s "voice" and conform to
leadership's expectations for written style and content.
- Ability to accept and apply constructive criticism.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain excellent working
relationships, especially with senior leadership and internal and
- Ability to navigate a complex organization and work with
multiple constituents and partners, including students, faculty,
staff, administrators, alumni, donors, public officials, and the
- Ability to meet deadlines and generate a significant volume of
- Ability to research and distill complicated university
initiatives and public policy issues.
- Skilled in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word,
Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Ability to generate and design basic graphics and collateral
- At least five (5) years of demonstrated experience in speech
writing, news writing, editorial writing, technical writing, or
- Experience working in higher education and/or institutions with
complex organizational structures.
- Experience with developing and executing communications
- Experience writing for different audiences.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by July 7, 2021
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: