Director (I) of Application Services
Job Posting Title Director (I) of Application Services Location Los Rios Community College District (District Office) Department Location Posting Number AE00469P The Institution
The Los Rios Community College District is the second-largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The District’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake, and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the District offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas, and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios District Office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work.
The District has approximately 6,000 employees throughout our four colleges and District Office complex. The District Office is centrally located between all four colleges and provides welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees, and our community partners. Our departments strive for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and are focused on advancing the learning of our diverse student population through improved academic and social outcomes.
Our Colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associates degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
Under the general direction of the Associate Vice Chancellor of Information Technology ( AVCIT ), the Director of Application Services plans, directs, and manages programs, projects, and operational activities in support of delivering innovative application services to students, employees, and stakeholders. The Director of Application Services will lead transformational activities to provide a modern and intuitive user experience and will implement initiatives to optimize application architecture, systems, processes, and support models. The Director of Application Services will constantly assess existing and emerging technologies and identify those that can contribute most effectively to the business objectives and goals at the District and college level.
The Director of Application Services is responsible for the 24/7/365 operation and maintenance of the Enterprise applications including Peoplesoft ERP system in the areas of Student Information, Financial Aid, Financials, HR, custom applications, state interfaces, and reporting. The Director of Application Services is also responsible for all leadership, management, and administrative functions for the Enterprise Applications team including Strategic planning, portfolio management, budgeting, accounting, procurement, contract/vendor management, talent management, and performance management. The Director of Application Services will be responsible for continuously maturing the Enterprise Applications processes, technologies, and teams to align with industry best practices and standards. The Director of Application Services, through subordinate supervisors, leads a team of information technology (IT) application programmers, IT application analysts and IT Consultants in identifying, delivering, integrating, configuring, maintaining, training and supporting the District’s enterprise applications. The Director of Application Services identifies, assigns, and prioritizes work assignments for staff; develops personal growth opportunities and recruits. The Director of Application Services represents the Department of Information Technology ( DOIT ) in various collaborative campus venues, leveraging them for feedback and guidance. The Director of Application Services must have a willingness to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends when necessary.
• Ensuring that enterprise applications effectively meet the diverse needs of Los Rios students, employees, and stakeholders.
• Bridging communications between the business and IT teams and fostering great business relationships by partnering with key stakeholders and cross functional leadership teams.
• Leveraging User Interface/User Experience (UI/UX) principles to continuously assess and improve customer satisfaction with enterprise applications.
• Overseeing responsibility for outcomes of engineering, planning, execution and delivery on complex projects.
• Providing timely communication to Business stakeholders in areas such as relevant events and escalations.
• Providing leadership to activities to increase system uptime, stability, accessibility, security, and performance.
• Representing DOIT in participatory governance and district leadership activities and communications.
• Ensuring the availability of key resources to ensure that application users are fully equipped to effectively adopt and utilize enterprise applications.
• Providing analysis of budgetary requirements for current and future years for the managed area.
• Serving as a resource to the Associate Vice Chancellor and other directors of the Information Technology Department, college IT deans, and managers of the business units.
• Providing oversight and leadership to the acquisition, configuration, integration, and maintenance of the Enterprise Resource Planning ( ERP ), Commercial off the Shelf ( COTS ), and custom applications.
• Facilitating the adoption of modern development methods and tools including the adoption of agile software development.
• Providing oversight and leadership to IT Service Management processes and practices.
• Advancing architecture, process and tools through innovation, cutting edge technology and research.
• Overseeing deliverables including, but not limited to: Application Lifecycle Management ( ALM ) process, release schedule, product roadmap, prioritized backlog, user stories, product documentation, estimation, release budgeting and forecasting, and status reports.
• Driving continuous improvement and automates tools, processes and technology to allow for greater throughput, quality, capabilities, skills and delivery.
• Supporting and troubleshooting production issues and leads incident response and management activities.
• Developing and implementing operational and project specific budgets, operating policies, procedures, and standards.
• Negotiating and managing contracts related to the acquisition of services, software, and equipment.
• Establishing appropriate information security controls within the IT department and collaborating with others to establish software application related information security controls for application software, databases, and system software districtwide.
• Ensuring business continuity and continuity of service delivery through regular successful continuity tests, system architectural review and approval and disaster recovery plans.
Portfolio & Project Management
• Managing the portfolio of projects including providing facilitation and leadership to project planning and implementation activities.
• Providing leadership and oversight to multiple concurrent projects of varying size and criticality.
• Leading and providing oversight to the definition of technology roadmaps, products and improvements aligned with appropriate product and business roadmaps.
• Participating in Los Rios IT Strategic Planning activities and plans and implementing activities to achieve strategic goals.
• Contributing to and participating in DOIT portfolio and project management activities.
• Providing regular status reports to district governance groups, and leadership to collaborative efforts to develop options and establish priorities for various software related projects.
• Working with business users to establish appropriate levels of participation in the development of specifications, review of proposed solutions, testing of software modifications, implementing and testing new releases and end user training.
• Building and leading a highly talented, top-performing, efficient, autonomous team.
• Hiring talent and providing professional growth of direct reports, progressive discipline, vendor management, building new teams.
• Contributing to the cohesiveness of the DOIT and distributed IT community.
• Implementing strategies to create a workforce and work environment that demonstrates our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
• Measuring organizational progress and health through metrics and results.
• Performing other duties as assigned.
• Tools used (at time of this posting) in the deployment and support of district applications, database, operating system and middleware software programs include: PeopleSoft (Financials, Human Resources, and Student Administration), CCC Apply & CCC Assist Systems, Oracle DBMS, SQL /Server DBMS, COGNOS, SAP Crystal, Cascade CMS, Red Hat Linux OS, Windows Server OS, Tuxedo, WebLogic, and other associated products and tools.
• Application Lifecycle Management,
• SDLC, and Support,
• Traditional & Agile PM Methodologies
• Project Planning, Estimating, Scheduling, Tracking, Budgeting, and Reporting
• Risk & Issue Planning (Identification, Mitigation, Resolution)
• Strong Diagnostic & Analytical Capabilities
• Excellent Written & Oral Communication Skills with all levels of management
• Ability to prepare formal management presentations, along with organizing and conducting effective meetings.
• Web, Mobile, App development experience
Work Year N/A Work Schedule Total Hrs per Week/Day Special Requirements Minimum Qualifications
1. Have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, management information systems or related field from an accredited institution completed by August 1, 2021; OR, a bachelor’s degree with two additional years of qualifying information technology leadership experience.
2. Have five (5) years of Information Technology leadership experience including at least three (3) years of administrative experience in a large educational, governmental, commercial or industrial organization, which includes responsibilities in planning, operational and project management, supervision and budget administration of information technology fields.
3. Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
Applicants applying to this position are REQUIRED to complete fully and submit:
1. Los Rios Community College District Administrative Application
2. Resume or Curriculum Vitae
3. Letter of Interest
4. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work
• Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified.
• Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as unofficial transcripts.
• Los Rios employees are also required to submit unofficial copies of transcripts.
• Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees, and other relevant documents.
• A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
• Foreign transcript evaluations ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here .
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
Physical Demands Salary $155,353 to $168,159 annually. LRCCD Salary Schedules Additional Salary Information Additional stipend for an earned doctorate from an accredited university.
Posting Date 06/18/2021 Closing Date 07/19/2021 Open Continuously Beginning and/or Ending Dates
Full-time, Twelve-month, Classified Management Position
Beginning on or about July 1, 2021.
How and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 during regular business hours Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to HR@losrios.edu. Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m. of the posting closing date.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.
Contingent on funding and eligibility, successful candidates selected for a face-to-face interview may be eligible to apply for partial reimbursement of travel expenses, up to a maximum of $450. Candidate Travel Reimbursement click here
Administrative positions may be subject to the District’s Conflict of Interest Code, and a statement of economic interest is required within thirty (30) days following appointment to the position. Management/Executive positions are exempt from overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Quicklink https://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/15722 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering
the question below, I certify that the information provided by me
is true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and
belief. I authorize investigation of all statements contained
herein, and on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I
release from liability all persons and organizations furnishing
such information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or
misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if
applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for
disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of
an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to
complete the form 'Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime',
P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed
pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). If needed
click on the link and download the form https://losrios.edu/lrccd/shared/doc/hr/forms/p-881.pdf
and attach the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- No answer
- * Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to –
where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- D'Primeramano Magazine
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Handshake (CSU, UC Job Boards)
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- LRCCD Resource Group - API (Asian Pacific Islander Legacy)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Black Faculty & Staff Association (BFSA)
- LRCCD Resource Group Native American Collaborative (NAC)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Spectrum (LGBTQIA+)
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- The HUB
Please describe your IT leadership experience in providing
high quality services to customers.
(Open Ended Question)
Describe your experience working with complex governance
structures with independent stakeholders
(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe your experience leading operations and production
support teams and activities
(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe your approach to ensuring applications and systems
facilitate diversity, equity, and inclusion.
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document
- Employee Request for Transfer Form
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento
- Other Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Sacramento