William Paterson University invites applications for the
full-time, 12-month position of Head Softball Coach.
Reporting to the Director of Athletics, the incumbent is an
integral part of a robust athletic program at William Paterson
University serving as the Head Coach of the intercollegiate
The William Paterson University Department of Athletics and
Recreation has long been a source of pride for the entire campus
community. Currently sponsoring 13 NCAA Division III teams which
includes baseball, men's and women's basketball, field hockey,
football, men's golf, men's and women's soccer, softball, men's and
women's swimming and diving, women's tennis, and women's
volleyball. William Paterson is a member of the New Jersey Athletic
Conference, which is one of the most competitive leagues in the
nation. Per NCAA Division III bylaws, William Paterson does not
offer athletics-based scholarships.
At William Paterson University, each individual is encouraged to
achieve as a scholar, citizen, and athlete and to develop critical
life-long values such as hard work, fair play, honesty, integrity,
and cooperation, leadership, and teamwork skills.
For more information, please visit
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develops, organizes and administers a competitive Division III
intercollegiate softball program. Works in conjunction with the
associate athletic director to develop the softball schedule.
- Provides site supervision at home athletic contests and
administrative assistance in the areas of academics, marketing,
compliance and/or strength and conditioning; Supervises home games
as described in site supervision manual for fall and winter
- Cultivates student-athletes' skill and strategy related to
- Executes practice organization and implementation, and develops
- Recruits student-athletes within guidelines of William Paterson
University and the NCAA.
- Works collaboratively with Office of Admissions.
- Monitors academic progress of student-athletes, and develops
and implements strategy for retention.
- Develops working relationship with athletic administration and
support staff in the overall management of the softball
- Recommends the hiring of assistant coaches and supervises
- Attends meetings, open house, and workshops as required.
- Assists with development of team budget and abide by same.
- Adheres to all university, NCAA and NJAC policies and
procedures and educate student-athletes about the same
- Devises and distributes communication with softball alumni
minimally twice a year.
- Perform other duties as assigned that are appropriate for the
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university
- Three (3) or more years of full-time coaching experience at the
collegiate, high school, or club level
- Demonstrated ability to lead, develop and coach
- Proven track record applying and instructing sport specific
skills, techniques, and strategies.
- Successful completion of the NCAA Division III rules test
- Certification in CPR/AED
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and virtual communication
(email, Teams, Zoom)
- Master's degree
- Collegiate level softball coaching experience
- Head coaching experience
- Demonstrated ability to recruit qualified student-athletes at
the collegiate level
- Demonstrated ability to lead, develop and coach
student-athletes at the scholastic or collegiate level
Personal Attributes and Traits:
- Ability to communication effectively in both oral and written
- Proven commitment to help others recognize and expand their
talents and potential
- Capable of influencing others to actively contribute to group
- Dedication to systems and processes by understanding and
leveraging knowledge, language, authority structures and work
within a given context to establish and honor norms, rules,
policies, and procedures
- Track record of commitment to self- assessment,
self-improvement, self-management, and self-direction
Interested candidates will be prompted to:
Complete an application
Submit a cover letter & CV
Provide names/contacts of three professional references
Review of applications will commence immediately and continue
until the position is filled. General questions related to this
application process, please contact email@example.com
About William Paterson:
William Paterson University is the third most diverse public
university in New Jersey. As a longstanding member of the Hispanic
Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU), we have been
designated by the US Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving
Institution. William Paterson University is also proud to be
designated as a NASA MSI (Minority Serving Institution). The
University offers more than 250 undergraduate and graduate academic
programs that range from liberal arts and sciences to
pre-professional and professional programs; it enrolls over 9,000
students from across the country and from over 40 nations. The
University is situated on a beautiful, 380-acre suburban campus in
Wayne, New Jersey, just twenty miles west of New York City.