Director of Faculty Affairs
Teachers College, Columbia University
Applications close: 25 Jun 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Job no: 508520
Position type: Staff
Location: New York
Executive/Director/Management, Human Resources
Reporting to the Director of Administration, the person in this
position is responsible for the overall administration and
coordination of all tenure track personnel reviews, lecturer
appointments and reappointments, development and review of many
Provost's Office policies and procedures, and provides executive
support and leadership for the implementation of new initiatives
and changes in procedures. The Director of Academic Affairs
provides strategic support to the Vice-Dean for Faculty Affairs and
the Provost, functions as a thought-partner to the Director of
Administration, and supervises and mentors the Associate Director
of Academic Affairs, who manages non-tenure-track faculty
appointments and personnel reviews, provides faculty search support
training, postdoc workshops and programming, and faculty/lecturer
annual reports and leaves, honorary appointments, lecturer and
adjunct promotions, and faculty leaves.
- Facilitates the College's administrative processes for
reappointment, tenure, and promotion to full reviews. This includes
reviewing dossiers from departments for accuracy and working with
them to resolve discrepancies, as well as resolving problems,
questions, and concerns from the Provost, Vice Dean, Department
Chairs. and, for tenure reviews, working with Columbia University's
Graduate School of Arts Sciences (GSAS).
- Supports Department Chairs and DAAs by interpreting and
clarifying policies and precedents. This includes policies and
procedures related to reappointment, tenure, and promotion to full
reviews, lecturer and adjunct promotions and hiring, sabbaticals
and other leaves, annual teaching loads, course releases,
- Manages and oversees the implementation, development, and
adoption by faculty of Interfolio, a digital platform that supports
faculty searches, faculty personnel reviews, and tracks faculty's
lifecycle and activities.
- Works closely with the Provost, Vice Dean for Faculty Affairs,
Director of Administration, and Associate Director of Academic
Affairs to strategically develop, coordinate, and implement faculty
affairs events, including various annual workshops, new faculty
orientation, and other meetings throughout the year.
- Works closely with the Director of Administration in the
creation, coordination, and implementation of faculty affairs
policies and procedures. Updating current policies as well as
drafting new documents.
- Identifies and evaluates existing administrative systems and
develops and leads the implementation of redesigned processes where
needed to ensure efficiency and accuracy.
- Leads monthly faculty affairs meetings with the Provost, Vice
Dean for Faculty Affairs, and Director of
- Serves as the Election Coordinator and is the point of contact
for CU Senate. Manages the Faculty committee nominations and
- Serves as an approver for all academic personnel transactions
submitted via the ePAF system
- Processes Lecturer reappointments and answers questions from
academic departments and Human Resources about lecturer hiring and
- Partners with Columbia University to ensure TC remains in
compliance with CU policies, where applicable.
- Tracks course buyouts, course releases, and annual course load
- Develops, leads, and oversees workshops and training sessions
for the DAA's in the areas of reappointment, tenure, and promotion
to full reviews and faculty recruitment.
- Manages the administrative processes for faculty salaries and
faculty salary letters, including promotion increases and title
changes, and faculty salary notification.
- Prepares the fiscal year payroll for faculty and lecturers,
including all transactions related to reappointments, promotions,
salary adjustments, and title changes.
General Administrative Duties
- Works closely with the Director of Administration to develop
and implement communication strategies within and external to the
- Creates and maintains confidential electronic faculty affairs
- Responsible for the effective staff supervision and mentoring
of the Associate Director of Faculty Affairs, including training
and development, workflow and performance management, and the
promotion of an inclusive and innovative work
- Develops and provides reports for the Provost, Vice Dean for
Faculty Affairs, and Director of Administration, as
- Provides administrative support for the execution of new
initiatives for the Vice Dean for Faculty Affairs.
- Serves as counsel to the Vice Dean for Faculty affairs on a
variety of matters.
- The many demands of this job necessitate strong organization
and attention to detail to ensure accurate and timely fulfillment
of a variety of requests. Tact and diplomacy are also necessary to
handle confidential or sensitive information.
- 5+ years of experience working in the field of faculty and
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and
- Demonstrated experience with accurate data entry, manipulation,
- Ability to synthesize and summarize different kinds of
- Ability to complete complex projects with short and
- Proven innovative strategic thinker.
- Transformative and proactive leader with an innate ability to
implement and manage organizational change.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, correctly,
knowledgeably, and effectively both verbally and in writing, to
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive
relationships, inside and outside of the workgroup, interacting in
a friendly, open, honest, and accepting manner.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google
applications, and Banner
- Prior experience and proficiency working with Banner and
- Masters degree in education or higher education
- 5+ years supervisory experience of assistant or associate level
administrator at a college or university.
To apply for the position, please visit: https://employment.tc.columbia.edu/cw/en-us/job/508520/director-of-faculty-affairs