Well-being Coordinator (SMSU)
Well-being Coordinator (SMSU)
California State University, San Bernardino
Job No: 501357
Work type: Auxiliary
Categories: Excluded, Administrative, Athletics, Full Time, Student Services Santos Manuel Student Union
California State University, San Bernardino
Rate of Pay: Depends on Qualifications
Target Start Date: September 1, 2021
Employment Status: At-Will Employee, Benefits Eligible, Santos Manuel Student Union
Location: California State University, San Bernardino
Hours per week: 40 Hours (Non-Exempt)
About Santos Manuel Student Union at CSUSB
(This is not a state position)
The Santos Manuel Student Union (SMSU), through its programs and facilities is a focal point of the campus where students, faculty, staff, administration, alumni and guests develop an enduring connection to the university. As a campus social hub, the SMSU assists in the retention and development of students, while encouraging a deeper understanding and appreciation of cultural pluralism, gender equity, and ethnic diversity. We accomplish this by providing a variety of cultural, social, educational and recreational activities, which create an environment conducive to personal growth and development. Planned activities also provide students with leadership opportunities and employment, which promotes an active learning experience as well as relaxation, entertainment, and social interaction. As the meeting place on campus for students and organizations, the facilities provide a comfortable and relaxing environment that embodies the delivery of services important to the university community. As a bridge between formal learning and life experience, co-curricular activities coordinated by the SMSU serve as a training ground for development of student leaders.
The SMSU facilities include a spacious lobby, relaxation and study lounge areas, meeting rooms, a state of the art theater, multi-purpose Events Center used for major events, an Automatic Teller Machine, graphics services, and Student Union scheduling. Our newest addition to assist our students academically is the laptop checkout program. Other services and departments located within the SMSU are the Coyote Cafe, the Blue Coyote Pub, Starbucks, Coyote Express convenience store, the Associated Students, Inc., DREAMers Resource and Success Center, Title IX & Gender Equity, Orientation and First Year Experience, and the Office of Student Engagement.
Full-Time, non-exempt position.
This is a regular, full-time, hourly position. Willingness to work a flexible schedule as necessary in order to respond to emergency/urgent situations is required. This may include working extended hours, evenings, weekends and some holidays.
Under the direction of the Recreation & Wellness Director, Well-being Coordinator is responsible for planning, implementing, and assessing innovative and diverse programs and services that meet the needs of the CSUSB community related to a holistic approach to an individual's overall health & well-being. Responsible for supervising student staff, managing the day-to-day operations of the center, and collaborating with campus partners to directly support the campus community in developing optimal health and well-being. In addition, the Well-being Coordinator has the responsibility of ensuring the success of the Wellness Center by providing multi-disciplinary health & well-being related functions with multiple campus partners that are involved in the Division of Student Affairs campus initiative, “Be Well Yotes”. Well-being Coordinator is an integral member of a hard-working team comprised of full-time and part-time staff within the Santos Manuel Student Union and Recreation & Wellness Department. They should possess the ability to work both independently and as a team member. Finally, they shall demonstrate the ability to work effectively with a diverse population of program members, guests, and staff.
Typical activities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinates all day-to-day operations, programs, services, collaborations, and administrative functions for the Wellness Center.
- Responsible for the daily management of the assigned operations, program and services including recruitment, scheduling, motivation, evaluation, and retention of personnel.
- Ensuring supervision and safe execution of the operations, programs, and services are inclusive and conducted in accordance with established service standards.
- Directly manages 1-3 student supervisors, 10-20 part-time and student employees and 1-4 academic program interns (e.g. - Kinesiology, Nutrition & Food Sciences, and Counseling Departments).
- Coordinates and provides operational leadership for all activities related to the Be Well Yotes multi-disciplinary group. This group involves campus partners across CSUSB divisions and departments.
- Ensures the success of the Be Well Yotes group through planning, executing, and assessing the program offerings.
- Coordinates all activities related to a well-being program including but not limited to programs that support developing a person's optimal well-being from a holistic approach. Includes program offerings that address multiple dimensions of well-being including physical, emotional, financial, spiritual, intellectual, social, and environmental.
- Assists the Director in policy development and public relations for the assigned areas.
- Primary site coordinator for academic program interns.
- Monitors budget regularly and ensures adherence to budget guidelines. Suggests steps to adjust expenditures and revenues based on budget tracking and forecasting to Director.
- Utilizes pertinent data, such as Campus Labs, the National College Health Assessment, Partnership for a Healthier America, and other major industry data, to drive programmatic decisions.
- Provides reports on a weekly, monthly, and annual basis.
- Assists in department strategic planning.
- Attends seminars and conferences to maintain program and professional development; earns continuing education units when necessary.
- Assists department management with the training and development efforts for all part-time staff.
- Teach American Red Cross CPR/First Aid courses as needed.
- As assigned by Director, serves on appropriate committees at the department, division, and university level as a champion for Recreation & Wellness-related activities.
- Other comparable duties as assigned by the Director.
Customer Service and Collaboration:
- Knows the mission and goals of the Santos Manuel Student Union and Recreation & Wellness department and commits to achieving them.
- Ensures Santos Manuel Student Union and Recreation & Wellness customer service guidelines are met by all staff in department.
- Ensures department guidelines are established and met by all staff in the department.
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with CSUSB faculty, staff, alumni, and community.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must have strong English language skills and the ability to read, write, and verbally communicate at a level appropriate to the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate a personal computer, proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to learn and utilize new software programs.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service and work well with part-time and full-time staff.
- Ability to take the initiative for additional projects and be self-motivated to initiate interactions with guests.
- Ability to meet deadlines, work effectively in a dynamic environment, and prioritize workload.
- Ability to manage information flow (including internal and external communication).
- Ability to initiate collaborative work with diverse students, faculty and staff.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and be accurate.
- Ability to demonstrate thoroughness, completeness, follow through on presentation and appearance of work.
- Demonstrated Experience in student program development, budget management and contract negotiations.
- Demonstrated ability to influence the creation, implementation, and management of a balanced array of programs which reflect students' interests and educational needs.
- Proven ability to assess program impact on student learning, including use of quantitative and qualitative data.
- Master's degree is preferred.
- Student supervision experience preferred.
- Health & well-being industry vocational training or certification preferred.
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. In our commitment to diversity, we welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. Our commitment to work toward an environment that values diversity requires that we create, promote, and maintain activities and programs which further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values which discourage intolerance and discrimination.
The concept and dimensions of diversity are to be advanced and incorporated into every aspect of university activity, including student life, the curriculum, teaching, programs, staffing, personnel training practices, research, community services, events, and all other areas of university endeavor.
Dimensions of diversity shall include, but are not limited to, the following: race, ethnicity, religious belief, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, gender expression, ability, socioeconomic status, cultural orientation, national origin, and age.
The implementation of the Commitment to Diversity will rest with the university as a whole. The president, in addition to a personal commitment and involvement, may use the University Diversity Committee, campus administrators, faculty, staff, and students as well as other members of the campus community to implement effectively the philosophy and intent of this statement.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered this position with Santos Manuel Student Union. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current Associated Students, Incorporated employees who apply for the position. Fingerprinting is required for all employee and volunteer positions that have direct contact with minor children.
California State University, San Bernardino is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
To view full description and to apply, visit: https://www.csusb.edu