Athens State University
Closing Date: 7/8/2021
The Career Consultant reports to the Director of Career Development. The Consultant will provide development support for student employment, career counseling, marketing career development services, policies and procedures. The Consultant will manage production of job opportunities, marketing and social media presence internally and externally.
- Cultivate and market employer partnerships for co-op,
internships and job shadowing opportunities
- Identify and screen candidates for Institutional and Federal
Work Study programs
- Assist students and alumni in career planning skills and job
- Develop social media presence to facilitate awareness of career
- Assist with the delivery of employer services
- Manage Athens State Handshake's opportunities
- Coach students with resume preparation
- Provide professional development support to students and
- Maintain up-to-date information about employment
- Perform other duties as assigned by the director
- Maintains “open door” to internal and external
- Identifies opportunities for improvements to work practices and
offers viable solutions for implementation
- Proactively engages in problem solving related to tasks in this
position with internal and external people
- Routinely practices self-monitoring by assessing self to make
improvements or take corrective action to improve performance
• Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
• Understanding of career development issues affecting students and the ability to identify and analyze trends
• Provide effective working relationships with students, alumni, and campus community
• Maintain confidentiality, demonstrating adaptability and collaborative work style
• Excellent interpersonal and/or organizations skills
• Strong skills in written and oral expression
• Computer literacy and the understanding and appreciation of database software and online resources
• Willingness to respond to the needs of students and employers
• Demonstrated positive attitudes and actions through a display of courtesy, congeniality, cooperation, sensitivity, and professionalism
• Experience in a postsecondary institution in Career Services
• Employment software experience
• Knowledge of social media platforms
Salary Band: P165
To view salary schedules, visit: https://www.athens.edu/about/offices/human-resources/salary-schedule-tables/
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Unofficial transcripts should be from the college or university which verifies minimum qualifications for the position. Upon an offer of employment, official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended must be submitted. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
Please provide contact information for three professional references on your application.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://jobs.athens.edu/postings/search
About Athens State University
Located in historic Athens, Alabama, Athens State University offers junior and senior-level coursework to community college graduates and transfer students holding sufficient credits from other institutions. Presently, over 3,100 students have selected Athens State because of its neighborly environment where 50 majors and degree programs are offered, with courses taught by a supportive and exceptional faculty. Approximately 80% of the students are enrolled in at least one online course. The typical student is a working adult who commutes. Recently, the University was featured in the 2015 Best Value Online College Rankings by OnlineU.org for four online programs including computer science, accounting, education and human resources. The University offers undergraduate degree programs in Liberal Arts, Teacher Preparation, and Business. The University employs more than 350 full and part-time employees with approximately 90 full-time faculty members in three colleges: College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, and College of Education. Seventy-five percent of the full-time faculty members hold a terminal degree. The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Athens, Alabama is located in north Alabama equidistant between Nashville, TN and Birmingham, AL. Athens is home to several events and festivals that have been featured as the Southeast Tourism Society’s “Top 20 Events in the Southeast” including the Athens Storytelling Festival and the Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddlers Convention.
In accordance with Athens State University Policy and guidelines, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a consent form for a criminal background check. Employment will be contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from that criminal background check.
Non-Discrimination Policy Statement Athens State University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. Athens State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, disability, religion, genetic information, or veteran status in employment, or admissions to or participation in educational programs and activities. Inquiries or concerns may be addressed to the Office of the Vice President of Enrollment and Student Support Services, 300 N. Beaty St., Athens, AL 35611, 256- 233-8175.