Located in the historic community of Walla Walla, Whitman's beautiful tree-lined campus is home to an intellectually dynamic, diverse, and supportive community of some 500 staff and faculty and 1,500 students. With an endowment exceeding $700 million, fiercely loyal alumni, exceptional students, and accomplished faculty and staff, Whitman College continues to build on its national reputation for academic excellence ranking as one of the top liberal arts colleges in the country.
Whitman College is building a diverse academic community and especially encourages applications from women, members of historically underrepresented minority groups, persons with disabilities, and others who would bring additional dimensions to the college's learning environment. Whitman College is an EEO employer.
The successful candidate will perform laboratory research focused on the synthesis of nanocrystals. The candidate will help maintain laboratory equipment and assist in training undergraduates in laboratory techniques. This role will include some professional development, including support applying for subsequent positions and possible opportunities to present at conferences. This position is a 10-12 month appointment.
- Safely implement nanoscience research projects as described above; keep track of methods and results in an organized fashion.
- Assist with equipment maintenance and supply ordering.
- Assist with training of undergraduate students.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Individuals must be able to explain and/or demonstrate that they possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities to safely perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must have knowledge and working familiarity with procedures and equipment routinely used in chemistry laboratories. Must know standard safety procedures for working in a chemistry lab.
- Willing to learn, have a positive attitude, and be comfortable working both as part of a team and in self-directed independent situations.
- Ability to positively and actively contribute to the college's core values of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Preferred: experience with air-free techniques including using Schlenk lines and gloveboxes
- Preferred: knowledge of nanocrystal synthesis
B.A./B.S. degree in chemistry or a related discipline with associated laboratory experience.
No heavy lifting is required. There will be periods of standing and sitting depending on research activities. Similar levels of activity to that of an office job.
Application review will begin on June 30 and continue until the position is filled.
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://whitman.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=81