Director of Undergraduate Admissions
Director of Undergraduate Admissions
Job Category: Fulltime Regular
Exempt Overtime Eligible: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Benefit Based
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs, Enrollment and Career Services, and as a member of the Student Affairs senior management team, the individual in this position will have overall accountability and supervision for freshman and upper class (transfer) student recruitment and selection. This is a key strategic role in the Student Affairs organization. The successful candidate will be an admissions leader of great skill and experience. The ability to work collaboratively as member of the Admissions leadership team is essential, as is a strong work ethic and the drive to work in a high-volume, fast-paced environment. In addition, the new leader will possess a commitment to Caltech's mission and values; exceptional communication, strategic planning, change-management, and analytical data skills; an ability to work independently and collaboratively across campus; and a proven record of advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion goals.
- Provides leadership and direction for the Undergraduate Admissions program.
- Develops strategic and intentional plans to enhance efforts to attract and compete for outstanding students, especially those who have been historically underrepresented in STEM fields (i.e. underrepresented minority and marginalized populations, 1st generation to college, low-income, rural, undocumented, and women).
- Designs and evaluates Undergraduate Admissions recruitment program that includes campus visits, college nights, high school visits, and conferences to attract the students Caltech is interested in enrolling.
- Reviews applicants and admits a new class in consultation with the two faculty admissions committees.
- Works with the freshman and upperclass admissions committees to understand the ever-changing landscape of science and engineering to ensure that admissions recruitment supports the pedagogy and mission of the Institute.
- Leads admissions initiatives that incorporate state of the art electronic communications, social networking sites, print and web communications, with the goal of finding and attracting a unique, diverse, and talented student body. Consults with the Caltech Office of Strategic Communications to provide recruitment and admissions material that support other Institute publications.
- Provides management direction and oversight to Undergraduate Admissions staff of ten FT individuals.
- Manages the Admissions budget and ensures appropriate expenditures consistent with office needs, goals and priorities.
- Bachelor's degree plus 8+ years of experience providing admissions management and direction.
- Well developed interpersonal and diplomacy skills, ability to inspire confidence and trust from a broad cross section of the Caltech community; current and prospective students, administrators, faculty, parents, and staff.
- Excellence in both oral and written communication, including the ability to make presentations that are clear and concise.
- Supervisory skills that include the ability to organize well, hire effectively, provide training, coaching, mentoring, and give timely performance feedback.
- Understanding of federal regulations and the legal framework for students.
- Good judgment, common sense, and sensitivity.
- Knowledge and direct experience working to create diverse, inclusive and equity-based admissions programs.
- Master's degree with 10+ years of experience with admissions management and direction.
- Experience with a highly-selective college admissions program.
- Experience recruiting students focused on STEM educational opportunities.
- Cover Letter
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://hr.caltech.edu/work/job_openings
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.