Tutor - Medical Assisting Program - Part Time
TUTOR - MEDICAL ASSISTING PROGRAM - PART TIME
MALCOLM X COLLEGE
A Tutor provides students with tutoring and instructional support in medical assisting to help improve their academic capabilities and progress academically while promoting independent learning and self-reliance. Tutors assist tutees in developing and improving their competency in medical assisting core competencies; and help students integrate test-taking strategies and time management skills. Tutors may work inside the classroom as embedded tutors; tutor students in pharmacology and billing and coding; and provide on-line tutoring services to students enrolled in distance learning courses such as Medical Assisting 102,103,104,105,106,107 and 108. Performs related duties as required.
- Provides academic assistance and tutoring to students on an individual or group basis on a weekly basis.
- Tutors students to help them gain a deeper comprehension of core medical assisting competencies, medical terminology and anatomy and physiology and a better understanding of work assignments to improve their academic success.
- Crafts effective tutoring plans to address tutee’s weaknesses and strengths; motivates students and provides them with confidence to feel successful.
- Provides students with learning strategies including ways to improve study skills and retention, how to organize work, effective use of time, and how to build better study habits.
- Schedules individual tutoring sessions at the Academic Support Center, based on students requests for tutoring in a specific subject area.
- Assists the tutee in problem solving and applying critical thinking techniques in the context of a specific discipline or subject area.
- Helps students develop positive attitudes and a high level of motivation towards learning and studying, build self-confidence and reduce anxiety or fear of failure in academic work.
- Tutors students and provide students with strategies to develop effective study habits and skills to improve academic capabilities.
- Prepares students for standardized testing and provides strategies to overcome test anxiety.
- Participates in tutor orientation and attends professional development and training sessions to increase competency in subject areas and improve tutoring skills.
- May conduct academic skill reviews and lead workshops on academic skills.
- Provide ongoing communication with students, Instructors and academic advisors regrading academic progress of individual students
- Maintains records on tutoring activities.
- Provides periodic student assessments and evaluations as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in Medical Assisting or a related field of study, OR have current medical assisting certification, either RMA (AMT) or CMA (AAMA)
- At least three years of current work experience as a medical assistant strongly preferred
- At least two years of current clinical or teaching experience within the medical assisting discipline strongly preferred
- Completion of tutoring certification preferred
- Experience in teaching, tutoring, or delivering academic support to students at the post-secondary instructional level is strongly preferred
- Experience working in a large, urban community college environment with a diverse cultural and ethnic student body is highly desirable
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago
- Academic Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago
- Student Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Not specified Part Time jobs in Chicago