Office Assistant (Short-Term, Multiple Departments)
Are you interested in creating an amazing educational environment for students who are part of an equity driven community? Come join us in our vision to improve the world, one student at a time!
Cabrillo College currently has multiple short-term, part-time (up to 20 hours per week) positions available to assist various departments during the transition in returning to in-person classes. Under general supervision, these positions will provide a variety of routine to difficult clerical support to various campus offices, which may include receptionist duties, word processing, record keeping and filing, and performing related duties as required or assigned.
Starting Salary Range: $14 to $15 per hour. Short-term, part-time assignment (up to 20 hours per week) , Monday through Friday, with hours to be determined. Position(s) scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued categorical funding and Governing Board ratification. This is a non-benefitted position.
Examples of Duties
- Types correspondence, reports, schedules, brochures, instructional materials, rosters and specialized documents related to the function of the department to which assigned from drafts, notes, dictated tapes, or brief instructions using a personal computer
- Proofreads and checks typed and other materials for accuracy, completeness, compliance with departmental policies, and correct English usage, including grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Enters and retrieves data and prepares reports from a personal computer system, following established formats
- Prepares and updates a variety of reports, which may require the use of arithmetic calculations
- Maintains records and processes forms, such as payroll records, purchase requisitions, course listings and schedules and others specific to the department
- Establishes and maintains office files
- Researches and compiles information from such files
- Acts as receptionist and receives and screens visitors and phone calls and takes messages
- Provides information regarding college or department courses, activities and functions
- Operates standard office equipment
- Performs such office support activities as opening and distributing mail, processing outgoing mail and maintaining an inventory of office supplies
- May provide bilingual and/or biliterate services to monolingual and limited English-speaking students
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience :
Equivalent to graduation from high school or a high school diploma
Knowledge of :
- Policies and procedures related to the department to which assigned
- Office practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment
- Business letter writing and the standard format for typed materials
- Business mathematics
- Basic business data processing principles and the use of computer equipment and various software
- Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Perform detailed clerical work accurately
- Organize and maintain accurate files and records
- Compose routine correspondence from brief instructions
- Make accurate mathematic calculations
- Use sound judgment within established procedural guidelines
- Operate standard office equipment, including a computer and centralized phone equipment
- Prioritize work, coordinating several activities and meeting deadlines
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions
- Operate a keyboard with sufficient speed and accuracy to enter data and prepare correspondence and reports in a timely manner
- Completed application
- Answer all Supplemental Questions
Only completed applications will be reviewed by the committee. No attachments are accepted for this position; instead, please fill out the application as thoroughly as possible.
Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an interview. Hiring managers will contact you directly. All notifications will be via email, and can also be accessed through your application profile.
Conditions of Employment
Selected candidates given a conditional offer of employment are required to submit tuberculosis screening clearance results, proof of eligibility to work in the United States, and present their Social Security card upon hire (for payroll purposes).
Cabrillo College is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of qualified applicants. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from all persons. No person shall be denied employment because of ethnicity or race, color, sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, medical conditions, status or protected veteran status.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.