Cheer Team Coach
The University of Colorado Boulder Athletics Department encourages applications for a Cheer Team Coach! The Cheer Coach for the Spirit Squad will report to the Spirit Squad Director and will be responsible for managing and coaching the CU Cheer Team. The position will instruct and coach student-athletes on the CU Cheer Team at practice, nationals, home Football, Volleyball, Soccer Men’s & Women’s basketball games and other events as requested.
The Cheer Coach will work with Spirit Squad Director to coordinate spring tryouts for the CU Cheer Team and recruit quality student-athletes. The Cheer Coach establishes and ensures communication and enforcement of rules and regulations regarding student-athletes conduct and behavior; will present annual budget requests to the Spirit Squad Director and is accountable for expense control compliance and administration of the budget. The position assists in fundraising opportunities and events for the Spirit Squad as assigned by the Spirit Squad Director.
This position is responsible for promoting the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletics program. This shall include adhering to the principles of the Athletic Department’s Mission Statement, Diversity and Inclusion Mission Statement, Core Values, Policies and Procedures, as well as the rules and regulations of the University, the Pac 12 Conference and the NCAA.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
As one of 34 U.S. public research institutions belonging to the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU)—and the only member in the Rocky Mountain region—our goal at CU Boulder is to directly affect Colorado communities through collaborative research, innovation, and entrepreneurship. Our faculty, staff, and students work with the broader community to establish outstanding connections that have lasting outcomes—both across Colorado and around the world.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Coach Cheer and Development:
- Provide education in the technical and physical aspects of cheer to the student-athletes, through effective training techniques and hands on instruction utilizing recognized curriculum and progressions consciously being aware of the student athletes’ physical and emotional safety.
- Primary instructor for game choreography, cheers, dances, stunts and tumbling.
- Teach skills and skill development at all cheerleading practices.
- Provide strong and affirmative leadership for cheerleaders.
- Supervise and maintain behavior management and conduct of the cheer team by enforcing Spirit Squad policies and team rules.
- Build and execute practice plans and performance routines that will be approved by the Spirit Squad Director.
- Build team leadership programming and initiatives.
- Coach camp practices and attend UCA College Camp with the cheer team.
- Implement choreography, technical training, strength and conditioning, flexibility, game day preparations, game day performances, skills assessment and evaluations.
- Coach routines for national competition and attend UCA nationals with the team.
- Introduce and implement creative and innovative choreography, development of skills sets of students-athletes in areas of cheer, recruiting for upcoming season and preparation for nationals.
- Determine and implement the strategies vital to empower the squad to maximum levels of individual and team performance.
- Work with Spirit Squad Director to coordinate spring tryout for CU Cheer Team. Recruit quality student-athletes and coordinates recruiting activities with the Spirit Squad Director.
Operations and Administration Duties:
- Option to choreograph routine for nationals or hire a choreographer with the choreography and music allowance.
- Assist with collecting, designing or ordering uniforms and equipment.
- Assist with camps, clinics and fundraisers for the CU Spirit Program.
- Chaperone and travel for away football and post season football and basketball.
- Communicate with Sport Performance staff regarding training sessions and progress.
- Work with Sports Medicine staff for injury evaluation and rehabilitation guidelines.
- Assist with facilities scheduling for practices on and off campus.
- Coordinate and lead all aspects of spring tryouts.
- Present annual budget requests to the Spirit Squad Director and is accountable for expense control compliance and administration of the budget in cooperation with the Spirit Squad Director.
- Collaborate and support all aspects of the Spirit Program.
- Maintain continual and thorough familiarity with all applicable USA Cheer, UCA, NCAA, Pac-12 and the University of Colorado rules and regulations.
- Establish and ensure communication and enforcement of rules and regulations regarding student-athletes conduct, appearance, and behavior.
- Work in conjunction with the Spirit Squad Director to assist in fundraising opportunities and events for the spirit squads.
- Assist with special events and other duties as assigned by the Spirit Squad Director.
What We Can Offer
- The salary rate for this 50% position is $20,428 annually.
- Additional Compensation Details:
- Athletic Event Tickets: Per Athletic Department Policy and NCAA regulations, Nike Elite Employee Benefit: Per Nike Elite Policy
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Challenged. Be Genuine. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- One-year experience as a member or coach of a collegiate or professional level cheer team or spirit squad. Equivalent combination of education and experience may substitute.
- Must be available to work after 5 PM on weekends & holidays as well as travel with the team.
What You Will Need
- Ability to create engaging choreography.
- Ability to interact effectively with a diverse student population.
- Ability to effectively communicate with students, staff, and administration.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Positive, enthusiastic, collaborative, flexible and approachable demeanor.
- Strong written and verbal communications skill, as well as highly developed organizational and interpersonal abilities.
What We Would Like You To Have
- College Cheer and Cheer Competition experience.
- At least one year experience as a member of a cheerleading/dance squad.
- At least two years experience coaching a collegiate level spirit squad, USA Cheer or Universal Cheerleaders Association.
- CPR and First Aid Training, or ability to obtain such within 3 month.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by June 28, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Part Time jobs in Boulder
- Health & Medicine Not specified Part Time jobs in Boulder
- Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology & Physical Education Not specified Part Time jobs in Boulder
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Boulder
- Academic Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Boulder