Director of Development - School of Communication (6945)
The Director of Development for the School of Communication is a major gifts fundraiser for the School of Communication at American University. The Director of Development is responsible for achieving aggressive fundraising, solicitation, cash, pledge, and visit goals, which are set annually. This position manages a prospect portfolio of at least 100+ active rated prospects for the School of Communication, with giving capacities of $100,000+. The Director of Development is expected to personally manage these relationships to cultivate, solicit, close gifts, and steward alumni donors, as well as identify and qualify new prospects for the School of Communication. Domestic travel is required in this position to personally engage alumni and secure funds for SOC. The Director of Development serves as a key member of the School of Communication's external relations team and as an ambassador of the school; works closely with the Chief Development Officer and Central Development Office, on move management, stewardship and donor issues to raise funds for the School of Communication; and shares in the responsibilities of managing school's advisory council/s.
- Major Gift Prospect Identification/Cultivation/Solicitation: Meet annual goals for personal performance established by the manager. Develop programs and strategies to identify, prioritize, cultivate, and solicit key individual prospects rated from $100,000+. Personally manage a portfolio of 100+ major gift prospects and achieve personal goals for prospect cultivation (measured by number of visits and contacts), solicitation and gift closure. Professionally and efficiently complete all communication, follow-up, and stewardship related to the ongoing cultivation and closure of gifts. Follow established standards for the documentation and acceptance of gifts. Record all contacts, strategies, and proposals in appropriate database systems. Submit all other required administrative paperwork in a timely manner.
- Prospect Management: Work in concert with other development, alumni relations, and prospect research colleagues to conduct entrepreneurial prospect identification and qualification.
- Fundraising Reporting & Recording: Conduct timely updating of reports, recording of action items in database, filing of appropriate donor records and updates, files and reconciles credit card receipts and cash reimbursements.
- The worker normally performs their job indoors in an office environment.
- This position may require travel outside the Washington metropolitan area 20-40% of the time, as well as seasonal evening and weekend work for University events and programs.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Team Leader/Consultant B
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 5-8 years' experience in progressively responsible development experience with at least four years of primary focus on identifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing, and stewarding corporate and foundation sponsorships, gifts, and grants.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Relations & Strategic Communication or Philanthropic Studies
- Familiarity with fundraising systems (Ellucian/CRM systems).
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Standard office software skill using email, word processing, spreadsheet/ data analysis and presentation development software applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint while preparing briefings, reports and presentations.
- Hiring for this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Public Relations & Advertising Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.